We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dogs in barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
amsterdam
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
dogs in barcelona

hello,

we are traveling with our small dog to barcelona. has anyone got any hints/tips? are they allowed on the metro? we live in amsterdam and are used to being able to take him with us everywhere, but its hard to find on internet what rules apply in barcelona!

thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dogs in barcelona

Bodiecoe, I not an expert, but I did not notice dogs in Barcelona like I did in Monte Carlo, Luzern and Paris. I'm a dog lover and really appreciate the fact that you can take your dog with you everywhere.

Try contacting the Tourist Information Center at www.bcn.es

Good luck! I hope your dog enjoys the trip.

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dogs in barcelona

Barcelona is plenty of dogs so you can bring yourself and you'll feel like at home.

Rules are basic: Always leashed, electronic chip with owner data (at least for locals). And of course cleaning everithing get dirty. I think dogs aren't allowed in the public transport system. Taxi drivers also can decline the service if they have to take a dog.

Parks for dogs: bcn.es/parcsijardins/pa_mapa_espais_gossos.h…

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dogs in barcelona

We've taken our medium size dog (23kg) all over Spain.....in fact we often joke that he's seen more of Spain than Brits who've been going to the same resort for years!!

You will find Spain less dog friendly than France, where we have often gone in a restaurant with him, put him under the table & had a meal. In Spain you will not be allowed in restaurants, shops, etc. You will also have a harder time getting hotels, the ones that do accept dogs are few & far between...but they are there. My advice to you is to email the hotel & ask if they accept perros, or in Catalan - gossos. Keep the email & take it with you in case of any confusion at reception (I speak from bitter experience, we arrived at a hotel to be told no perros, fortunately I did have the email so all was OK).

If your dog is small, you may be able to get a bag to carry him/her in, otherwise he will have to be on a lead at all times.

I don't think he will be allowed on public transport, as someone said before, check with the tourist office. There is a contact form on www.barcelonaturisme.com

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dogs in barcelona

Metro and Bus : " ... The only animals that are authorised to travel are guide dogs, dogs accompanying security guards or pets which are transported in special containers to prevent them from dirtying their surroundings or from inconveniencing other users."

tmb.net/en_US/…normesdus.jsp

S/He will have to have a house/ cage or a bag as Senoraylan writtes .

I read reports it may be not that bad, much depends on the passengers and person at the entrance (if there is any).

Good luck , hau hau

amsterdam
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: dogs in barcelona

Thanks for the information!

We've booked our trip (found an apartment that allows dogs!) and we are looking forward to our trip!

: )

Bodie

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dogs in barcelona

Senoraylan,

I didn't realize that you are such a dog lover. Wonderful, and, undoubtedly your dog is so smart that he/she appreciates the fact that he is so well traveled in Spain and he bests the traveller who always returns to the same resort. I haven't had a dog since my childhood, but our oldest daughter has a Westie which I adore. A real grandchild is due in November; however, the Westie will not suffer.

A note about dogs in Spain. When I first lived in Madrid, in the very general area of Estadio Bernabeu (The street was General Cabrera...so it's not exactly that neighborhood) The only dogs one would see where strays searching for food. About 10 years ago, I took my family to the area I had lived, and the only dogs one could see were leashed with fancy collars. How times have changed!

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dogs in barcelona

Yes, Holakjs, our dog has been visiting Spain for the last 5 years & has been to many, many places. We drive down through France into Spain every year taking a different route every time, so cover a lot of kilometres & see a lot of places. He is very well behaved, "el tranquilo", as one Spanish waiter christened him, which makes the journey easy. And he loves his summer holidays, he never used to mind the wind & rain in the UK, but now we get dirty looks if we take him out in bad weather.....he has definitely turned into a sun worshipper! He is also bi-lingual, we have taught him basic commands & tricks in Spanish as well as English & he just loves showing off!!

We're just in the process of planning this year's trip which is why I haven't been on TA much recently.

Congratulations on your new grandchild on the way........trust me, it gets expensive!! But worth it.

bodiecoe, have a fantastic time & put a report on here letting us know how you got on with your dog.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dogs in barcelona

Dogs are allowed in the Metro if you carry them in your arms.

Benalmadena Pueblo
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: dogs in barcelona

Best not take the St.Bernard or the English Mastiff then