We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

We will be one full day in Barcelona while cruising on the Crystal Serenity in October. My problem: I am worried that I don't have enough hours for all that I want to do. I plan to disembark the ship by 8:30 a.m. I need to get back on the ship by 7:00 p.m., and therein lies my problem. Here is what we would like to do (all estimated times include transport):

1) 8:30 - 10:30 a.m. Park Guell (by taxi)

2) 10:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. La Sagrada Familia (by taxi)

3) 12:30 - 2:45 p.m. Casa Mila (by walking)

4) 4:15 - 5:00 p.m. Fundacio de Miro (by taxi)

5) 6:00 - 6:45 p.m. Picasso Museum (by taxi)

I also want some time to walk La Rambla, and perhaps to sit and have a drink at a sidewalk cafe. I know -- no way!

I know this is no doubt too much to do in one day! Have I allowed too much time at each venue, or are my time estimates accurate considering crowds, lines, etc? My priorities are Park Guell, La Sagrada Familia, and Casa Mila, and of course, walking La Rambla is a "must." What is your opinion on Fundacio de Miro vs. the Picasso Museum? Is one much more spectacular than the other? I have seen many exhibits of Picasso, but not so many of Miro. I am a huge fan of both. However, I know that by eliminating one of the museums I can buy some time to spend on La Rambla.

HELP! I am overwhelmed with things to do, but not enough hours in the day. How should I prioritize? How long should I figure to spend at each venue? What do I cut out?

All advice is tremendously welcome!

Thanks,

Shelley

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

I'd suggest to go first to S.Familia

IF you really want to go inside (to climb the tower?) - to avoid queue.

- Anyway - in October it should not be very bad.

If you are at Casa Mila - have a look at Casa Batllo - it is 5 minutes walk.(I know you ask to help to eliminate :)

45 minutes for any museum is too short - but i don't know which one to choose.

You probably know Barcelona is early stage of Picasso work

- Las Ramblas .... hmmm... IMHO : tourist trap - again , hopefully not that completely/horribly jammed in Oct.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

I don't know how Barcelona is in October, but we just got back 2 days ago. We took the tour bus and with waiting in line to get on the bus and taking the long trip around the city it took us about 6 or 7 hours (with travel) to do Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila (we took about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at each place). I think if you take a taxi it would be a lot faster but probably expensive. We road the tour bus to all of the sites so that is why it took us longer. We did not go to either of the museums so I have no info on that. You can see La Rambla in an hour if pressed for time. The market on La Rambla is really neat if you have time to stroll through it. Watch your pockets!! I got 70euro taken from my front jeans pocket. These people are good at what they do!

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help.

Does anyone else have suggestions? Anybody been to either of the museums?

I know about pick pockets in Barcelona. I escaped intact two years ago on La Rambla. However, they got me last summer in St. Petersburg at Peterhof Palace. Fortunately, I left everything in the safe on the ship (my husband carried all necessary valuables on him), and all they took from my purse was a bag of toilet paper and seat covers! Hope they enjoyed them!

Shelley

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Shelley

For someone who's been on a number of occasions (for both business and pleasure), I think you're trying to achieve too much. Even if you were able to squeeze everything in, you'd be exhausted and most things would simply be a blur.

The main thing to bear in mind is traffic. Parc Guell is at the other end of the city to the Port and as with any other city, sitting in the back of a taxi going nowhere fast can be frustrating - and you're heading out from and back to the port during both rush hours!

The other thing to consider is crowds. Even in October, the key sites will be busy - it's an all year round destination.

The Miro and Picasso museums are both highly recommended but it's the Gaudi and other Modernist architecture that is totally unique to Barcelona. Miros and Picassos are not exactly two a penny but most international galleries have at least some of each.

You also need to think about opening hours. I think the Sagrada opens at 9am, just about everything else at 10am, including Parc Guell so I wouldn't necessarily head there first.

The problem might be that Sagrada gets really busy first thing with tour groups, doing as you're doing, trying to squeeze as much as they can out of a single day. Casa Mila is very central but suffers from queues to get in and I don't think you can pre book through your tour operator but I would put this top of your list. Casa Batllo is another option just 400 yards away and never quite so busy. Parc Guell is simply stunning but if stumble upon a very wet day you might want to give it a miss - it's not so appealing under a sea of umbrellas!

Two other recommendations. Palau Guell is tucked down a side street. It's typical Gaudi but without the crowds. It's also just off The Ramblas which you mentioned, but to me and many others it's an over-rated street with too many people doing very little and some dodgy characters too. My other suggestion would be a tour of the less well known Catalan Music Place by one of Gaudi's contemporaries, Domenach i Montaner. It's central, the only downside is access is by tour only (about 50 min) but numbers are limited and it's a delight to be away from so many other tourists and the buiding is absolutely stunning.

It's ultimately down to you as to what you do. I'd plan out two or three different itineraries and be prepared to mix and match depending on how the day pans out.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Thank you so much Art4All! What a wealth of information!

So, if I'm reading between the lines correctly . . .

Skip the Picasso and Miro Museums unless time truly permits because I have had to skip other planned activities such as Park Guell?

Don't miss all that is Gaudi, including Park Guell unless it is a rainy day?

Head first for Sagrada Familia at 9:00.

Additional questions:

1. Should I head first for Sagrada Familia at 9:00, or Casa Mila, which opens at 10:00, getting in line and waiting until it opens?

2. Does a visit to Park Guell merit the distance I have to travel to get there if it is a nice day?

Thanks for your help, Art4All, and to anyone else who can lend me their words of wisdom.

Shelley

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Not really sure about La Sagrada and when it's at its quietest -maybe first thing is your best bet?

As for Parc Guell, on a nice sunny day, having to drag yourself away could be your biggest problem! Definately #2 on my 'must- see' list.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Thanks, again! I think we will head first for La Sagrada Familia, then Park Guell (provided its a nice day.) Next, we can either come back to Casa Mila (I read on one of these posts that it is less busy around lunchtime or late in the day) and walk La Rambla (stopping along the way for tapas or a drink.) If time permits, then we can consider going to one of the two museums (especially if we don't get to Park Guell because of inclement weather.) How does that sound?

Also, I am still looking for recommendations for the Picasso vs. the Miro Museum in the event we have the time to go to one museum. Which is best?

All help is appreciated!

Shelley

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Was in Barcelona in May. Never got into the Casa Mila since there was a long line the three times we went by there. You may want to do some research to see if there is any kind of "skip the line" ticket you can buy. Although it may cost more, it would help you squeeze in more.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

Shelley

Miro, definitely. Barcelona/Catalunya is almost embodied in much of his work. His mercury fountain is just about the most unforgettable art work that I've ever seen and worth the entrance fee on it's own.

And there's a Miro in La Rambla. Literally. Picasso can wait.

Have a great, if exhausting, time. You'll love it.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Barcelona Itinerary, Please!

One other tip. Stick to the Gaudi side of Sagrada Familia. IMO the recent additions are vulgar and inelegant and seem to miss the point entirely. Others will disagree.