We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona for 8 days too long?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona for 8 days too long?

My husband and I are thinking of Barcelona for about 8 days from Dececember 26 to January 3rd, or thereabouts. We'll have our two children, ages 19 & 20, with us. Would you recommend staying in Barcelona for the whole time and perhaps taking one or two day trips to surrounding areas, or would we be better spending 2 or 3 days in Barcelona and then driving around the countryside a bit? Would there be enough to see and do in Barcelona and immediate area for 8 days, especially as we're not big on museums and cultural sites? More into food and wine and wandering...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

Well, quite a lot to do. Some people might find 8 days too much but we go for 5-8 days most years.

Tarragona is a reasonable day trip - Roman reamins and a lovely cathedral - a rather splendid Roman aqueduct just out of town.

Montserrat is one of the most fascinating mountains in the world - only just over 1000 metres and great trails - you'll need reasonable gear in December because cold weather, wind and rain is a possibility but you probably know a bit about weather given your location.

Girona is reckoned to be really nice but we still haven't made it there . maybe this year.

If you enjoy bars then you'll find plenty to interest the children - from traditional to fashionable. Last time we were there at the end of the year some bars were asking a set entrance fee to cover both food and drink for the night - find somewhere you like and stay until the early hours on New Years Eve.

The nearby wine area is Penedes - you might need to check for opening times of vineyards/wineries in December, though.

Given the distance you're travelling, perhaps 4 days to concentrate on the city and 4 days with a car getting around the countryside might be a good option. Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to Catalonia might give you some excellent ideas for places to visit.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

Thanks so much for the information. Very helpful. I'll do a bit of investigating into the places you've mentioned and poll the family.

Birmingham England
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

Hi, we are a family of 4 with two aged 13 and 17. We returned this morning after spending 4 days in Barcelona and then 4 days on Costa Brava at Malgrat de Mar. So a city break followed by a relaxing time on the beach and chilling out. It worked well as sight seeing in Barcelona was very tiring, its an exciting city but for me 4 or 5 days there at a time is enough and we will return to see more another year. I would advise you to plan in advance to make sure you make the most of the city or you could wander around a miss such alot.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

I suppose the key issue is what ,if anything, might be shut over New Year. In Barcelona, you'd be OK but in smaller, less touristy venues - even Girona - things might be different. Certainly many coastal destinations that are all action over the summer can give the impression of being almost closed in the depths of winter.

Two other city options with a strong art-nouveau heritage and both pretty close to Barcelona are Reus and Terrassa.

Ringoes, New Jersey
Level Contributor
88 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

We just retured from a 9 day trip to Barcelona. We stayed in Barcelona the entire time and took the train, which is very easy to use, on four side trips. We went to Sitges, Tarragona, Girona and Montserrat. All of those locations are good for day trips and the rest of our time in Barcelona gave us the time to see everything on our list without feeling rushed. There is alot of great food in Barcelona and some sections of the city are great for wandering...but I would recommend either more than one or two day trips or dividing your time between Barcelona and another area.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. As suggested, I suspect being there in late December, early January will pose a few problems re day trips to the smaller towns, but you've given me a good start for planning.

7. Re: Barcelona for 8 days too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 00:19