We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeout Guides

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Timeout Guides

I am a former user of TimeOut guides. I have about 15 guides from them.

Lately, I have found TimeOut guides to be rather "poor". Lots of entries were incorrect. If one were to look at the index for restaurants, for example, the indicated page number would not be correct. This instance of shoddy work is of the Budapes 6th edition. And the map was also inaccurate.

I used TimeOut for my recent trip to Barcelona in mid Nov, I find that there are way too many pages of ads. I know that TimeOut includes a few pages of ads. However, for the Barcelona 10th edition, there were just way too many ads pages.

Still about Barcelona guide; one of the restaurants recommended by TimeOut was so unhygienic that I literally left the restaurant without eating much.

I used to like TimeOut because its maps are in color. Therefore, they were useful. Anyhow, seem like I am ranting here. I guess that I am because I encountered a bit much of inconviences because of the guides.

Anyone has any problems with TimeOut? What are your current favorite guide book publisher? Why? Any drawbacks?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeout Guides

The Maribel's Guides to Madrid, Barcelona or Basque are very helpful. Download it FREE of charge from:

http://maribelsguides.com

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeout Guides

We used a map from StreetWise Barcelona and the DK Eyewitness Travel book for Barcelona. The map is coated so it won't stain and folds up nicely, and the book is small enough to go into a pocket of a messenger bag. And we printed Mirabel's Guide which was a lot of help, but I have been wondering if this is ever updated?.

Pjk

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeout Guides

Thanks for the response. Will consider your suggestions if I travel to those places again in the future.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeout Guides

I have also been a Lonely Planet, which doesnt provide insights for good for information. But after using the DK Eyewitness Guide for Spain, I am converted. I think they have got better maps than any other guide, and description of areas of interest is superb with very good description of architecture etc. It may not provide too many cheap accomodation and eating options as Lonely Planet does, but for my money, still the best

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeout Guides

I've always used a combination of DK, lonely planet and Timeout. I usually buy the TimeOut and the DK for every place I go. I confess I don't tend to rely too much on any guide, I only use it for a general idea ... and I check whatever suggestions for restaurants at websites used by locals.

One of the reasons I like the TimeOut guides is because the writers live in the place about which they write so they tend to give better tips for people who want to spend extended amount of time in the place or are looking for non-touristy things.

But I do agree that the publisher has been a bit lapse. I recently bought the Paris 2008 shortlist and there are some problems with index referring to the wrong pages...

6. Re: Timeout Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 12:24