We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for Spanish Items

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for Spanish Items

Me and my family will visit Spain this April. We plan to stay in Barcelona and do a sidetrip to Monserrat. I want to purchase Spanish spices (I love Paella,Gambas al ajillo and other Spanish dishes which I cook at home) and want to buy authentic ingredients that is generally used for Spanish dishes. Fresh items included (Ilike ham and chorizo) I need suggestions on where and what to buy. Also, I am crazy over Spanish potteries and ceramics especially bowls,plates things for dining and kitchen decors. Where can I buy them in Barcelona? I need not buy antique or anything on the high end.Maybe a nice flea market? Thanks in advance.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

there's an enormous indoor market off la rambla with all the food you could imagine. lots of the stalls have a little bar to sit at where you can have a nice lunch with a glass of wine

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

I'm off to BCN tomorrow for my first visit. I forgot to ask about shopping hours. Will everything close over lunchtime until about 4pm??

I want to see the market too - is this the Boquiria please?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

The name of the most known market in Barcelona is Mercat de Sant Josep, but better known as La Boqueria. Great to see, but be advised that prices are a bit steep there.

You can find most ingredients at regular supermarkets or at the many small food shops around town at reasonable prices. If you like markets, another not to be missed is Mercat de Santa Caterina, 5 minutes walking from the Cathedral, just cross via Laietana and you'll see its colorful rooftop.

For more unusual, gourmet food, one of my favs is Colmado Quilez in Rambla de Catalunya.

To the second question: all around the city centre shops do open from 10 am to 9 - 10 pm. No one does siesta here....

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

That's great - no siesta, I can shop till I drop???

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

Thanks guys. How about potteries and ceramics? Also, lace tablecloths, napkins,placemats. Do they sell these items in the markets?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

I missed that bit!

Well, honestly I'm not sure, as I don't buy these kind of items here in Barcelona. There used to be an artisan's market at Sants station on Sundays, but I'm not sure they still do. There are seasonal open air markets... but no idea if they are open on April... you know, things you see passing by but you don't care much when living here :)

There are some nice small shops all scattered around the old town where you probably find nice things, mixed with tacky souvenirs. Anyway, the Old Town is made for walking around and discovering, so probably you'll find your own places. And if everything else fails, there is always El Corte Inglés department store (as last option, there is everything you need, but you pay for the convenience)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

Forget to say there used to be a quite big shop in Montserrat (I've not been there for ages) with typical products from the area

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

Lace tablecloths, napkins, etc...can be found at El Cortes Inglis..on the Linen floor. But, I noticed that they were all made in China. I can buy those here at home. I would have liked to have bought some European-made ones.

I did buy a lovely 100% cotton sheet and pillow case. They only sell the top (flat) sheet and pillow case as a set....had to buy the bottom sheet separately. It is lovely to sleep in!

You can probably buy your ceramics and potteries there as well. Just check to see where they've been made.

As mentioned, you pay top dollar for them..no bargains in that store, but it's conveniant.

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

Thank you all for the invaluable advice. Will check on those stores you mentioned. :-)

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for Spanish Items

I've just returned from BCN and I can honestly say that it's a difficult place to buy anything. It's a big city, like any big city - huge shopping areas which are like those anywhere.

I'm not a shopper and only brought back a few garden bulbs which I bought from The Rambla. I enjoyed the market there (Boqueria) but it's just loads of fruit/veg/fish/meat that you see everywhere else.

The Mercat de Santa Caterina is similar but just in a different area. Nice roof though!

As to potteries and ceramics, lace tablecloths, napkins,placemats etc, I saw none of these. The markets are not the place to find them.

I did visit Poble Espanyol which is on one of the Tourist Bus stops. This is where there are reproductions of 117 buildings, streets and squares from throughout the peninsula. Here you will find some 40 craft workshops and you may find here what you are looking for. A bit too touristy for me but most offer typical Spanish artwork.

I think if you are looking for lace tablecloths, napkins,placemats etc, you need to visit the real Spain and definitely not Barcelona.

There is nothing at the moment around Sants station - basically a building site while they are building roads around and about.

There are many El Corte Inglés department stores but I only went into one to find directions to a certain restaurant. Yucky department stores - I hate them!!

Look out for the Fresco restaurants - all you can eat for less than 8 Euros - good value!

Get on a Tourist bus - jump on and off when you like and you'll get headphones for free to hear about the sites. Also, you'll get a booklet of vouchers which you can use at various restaurants, or for reductions at various Gaudi places, or for the Imax, Aquarium, Zoo etc. 26 Euros for 2 consecutive days (or 20 for one) - great value.