We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a location

NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Need help choosing a location

We will be psending a week in Spain in mid April. Will fly into Barcelona. We want to visit the city, see Costa Brava and get to the pyrenees for hiking. We will have a car. Would staying in Gerona for the week be a good idea? If not, where would you suggest? We want a nice city/town with a location convenient to everything we want to see. We would be willing to stay in 2 locations if that makes more sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a location

Catalunya is a lot larger then you think and with only a week, you'll have to do some planning.

You should spend at least two nights in Barcelona, the first to adjust to the time difference, and get over jet lag, and the second just to look around, but if you really want to experience the city, then it will require a few more days, which would take away from seeing the Costa Brava and the Pyrenees.

I suggest spending a couple of nights in Begur on the Costa Brava before heading for the Pyrenees. Here I would recommend staying somewhere around Besalú or spending some time in La Seu d'Urgell, which has a Parador.

I also highly recommend you download a copy of Maribel's Guide to Barcelona. You should find it helpful in planning your time in the area.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a location

Besalu would be a great location for you from which to explore. From this beautiful medieval village you can reach the Pyrenees in less that an hour, Girona in 1/2 hour and the beaches of the Costa Brava in 1 hour.The lake at Banyoles is also worth atrip, 15 mins from Besalu, on the way to Girona. You can even drive into France (Perpignon area)in an hour. Hotel Tallefero in Besalu is lovely and right in the heart of the village. If you're there for Easter, their Good Friday parade is beautiful, a candle-lit placa...terific atmostphere. I canrecommend the Curia Real Restaurant , good food, service and the best view of the stunning bridge. I lived in Besalu for a couple of years and can give you more info on the area if you need it. Good luck!

3. Re: Need help choosing a location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 23:16