We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport??

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Airport??

Which airport do you recommend: Reus, BCN, Girona considering the location of our hotel? We are staying @ Ayre Gran Via Hotel. I am trying to see if the cheapier flight on Ryanair is worth it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport??

The only real airport of Barcelona is BCN-El Prat. Just 20-25 min and a few euros by the Aerobus to your hotel (Ayre H. is very close to Espanya stop)

Girona-Costa Brava airport (GRO) is about 90 Km North, 1:15 h by bus to Estacio del Nord, and later about 20-30 min by metro to Espanya. The Sagales buses from/to GRO to Barcelona do cost about 22 € return if I do remember well

Reus (REU) is even more far away, in the South. I'm not so familiar with this airport, I used GRO for Ryanair flights when the destination airport was more convenient to my plans. But it does not make much sense using Reus from or to Barcelona

Many times the price difference using Ryanair is about the same as price of buses to Barcelona. Not to say the vacation time you will loose.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport??

If you are flying ryanair, your 2 choices are Reus or Girona. Reus is 70 minutes from Barcelona and Girona is about 80 minutes by bus. Bus from Reus is 20 euro return, I assume it would be about the same from Girona.

I think most people tend to fly to Girona, but we always go to Reus - it is usually cheaper and not as crowded.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport??

I agree with Belsaita. Unless there is a really good economic reason for using Girona or Reus, I'd go for BCN every time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport??

WorldwiserIreland, memory is weak sometimes, I no doubt you have done this trip, but actually Reus is more far away from Barcelona than Girona, this is the reason less people use it (even we locals). Reus is about 110 KM from Barcelona, there are less frequent bus connections than from/to GRO and the buses from REU take 1:30 h to reach Barcelona

Anyway, tlwestbrook, you can check the buses's companies websites:

www.sagales.com (from Girona)

www.igualadina.com (from Reus)

In any case, even paying a bit more I'd fly to BCN at any time if the "other" airport was convenient to me (it has to be considered to).

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport??

Not going to cause an arguement with you Belsaita

But we have flown to Reus 3 times, including last November and bus has only taken about 75 minutes (maybe we had good traffic?). It has less frequent buses, but the buses are there to coindicide with the Ryanair flights so there is no problem with the buses.

I havent flown to Barcelona airport, so cant comment on that, I was just anwsering the question re Ryanair flights.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport??

of course I will not argue with you, you did it, I did not (and honeslty I've no intention to try) ;))

I guess you were lucky with traffic, as I drive at least once a week from my mom's place south of Barcelona (but much closer than Reus, only 50Km) and it easily takes me more than 70 min if the traffic is heavy

If you have the opportunity to fly to BCN for a reasonable price, do not hesitate, and you'll not regret (of course, if you're traveling to Barcelona, Reus is the choice airport if visiting Tarragona or the beaches in Costa Daurada, as Girona is for the Costa Brava)

tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport??

Thanks for all the advice and tips... it made my decision-making process that much easier. Once again, Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport??

just out of curiosity, what is the price difference, if you don't mind to share? and it is from the same departure airport or different one?

tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport??

This is what I have found so far: LTN - GRO ($41); LTN - REU ($20); STN - GRO ($52); STN - REU ($30); and LGW - BCN ($88). The flights to REU arrive roughly @ 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock. What is latest time we should arrive?

tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport??

Ps, all of the departures are located around the London area.