We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona AND What other destination??

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barcelona AND What other destination??

I would like to spend a week-10 days in Barcelona and some other destination.

The main reason for going to Barcelona is my sister will be "studying abroad" there for the spring semester. I've been to Barcelona before-my boyfriend has not. Any suggestions for a good combination? Have you seen any package deals for Barcelona and another city? Another Spanish city, French, Italian? I'd like to see something else besides Barcelona (since I've been there before) if I am going to travel that far.

Thanks for your help!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
473 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

Since you have already been to Barcelona, 5 or 6 nights should be more than enough. You should definitely go to Madrid, use it as a base, see what you want there, and go to Toledo, El Valle de los Caidos (Valley of the Fallen), El Escorial, Segovia, and Avila. Get yourself a good guide book (like Frommer's) and see what wonders these places have to offer.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

Take the high speed train (AVE) to Madrid.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

It really depends on you, and what you want to do

As said above, Madrid is just 2:40 hours away by AVE, it's a city with lots to see and do, and with interesting surroundings.

I'm not aware of any package deals, but it's very easy to move around by yourself

On the other hand, from Barcelona you can take a plane to any other Spanish city you may fancy to visit, like Sevilla, Granada, Santiago de Compostela... or to Lisbon, Rome, Paris... wherever. Vueling and Clickair are budget airlines based in Barcelona, you might explore their destinations and deals

Or... you might prefer to explore smaller cities (you know, countries are not only big cities,.... and in fact big cities are usually not the best representatives of a country!). You can plan a circular trip, driving or by train/bus, departing and returning to Barcelona. Tarragona, the wine county of Penedes, Montserrat, the Costa Brava... or driving to France (Colliure, Perpignan, Narbonne, Carcassone...) or to the Pyrenees (not only nature, you can make a route of Medieval towns and castles)... and this is just to name a few posibilities and in no particualr order!!

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

Thank you all for your suggestions! I think I would definitely like to explore smaller towns and beaches rather than large cities and museums :) Any favorites along the coast? I am starting to think that staying in Spain would be the best plan as well. Any insight in to Ibiza? Is it only for the party animals or do beach lovers go there too? All advice is appreciated!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

How about Tarifa? Lovely (though quite windy - the European kite-surfing capital) small town at the opposite end of Spain from Barcelona. Some spectacular beaches nearby, opportunities to visit Morocco for the day (my kids loved it when they suddenly realised that they were in Africa!) with several fast time-travelling boats, monkeys in nearby Gibraltar, whale and dolphin watching boat trips and even some decent Roman remains not too far away. With a hire car, Granada and Seville are both possible in a day, as long as you don't mind a bit of driving.

After Barcelona, one of my favourite places in Spain.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

I agree with the others, stay on the Iberian peninsula or at most look at Catalunya Nord (Collioure, Perpignan etc). So much variety here, leave Italy or further afield in France for another trip.10 days isn't the long in any case.

Using cheap flights to Andalucia, you could fly into one city and out from another to maximise time: choice of Jerez (nearest to tarifa and rest of Costa de la Luz), Seville, Malaga, Granada. Cadiz province has nice coastal scenery from Tarifa right round to Guagdalquivir estuary (cross the river to Doñana national park) and also pretty white towns and villages inland. Jerez itself is well worth a look, also Cadiz, both bigger but "big city" feel.

7. Re: Barcelona AND What other destination??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 07:19