We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona visit with kids

Knoxville
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona visit with kids

Hi,

I am traveling to Barcelona in April and would like advice on things/activities to do with young children (under the age of 10). Could you please also advise on the location of playgrounds and kid friendly restaurants? Much appreciated!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Hi,

have you read Lynda's et al

in Things to Do -on the left

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-s401/Barcelon…

?

good start :)

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

A visit to Barceloneta is a must a good beach area in the city.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Spanish kids are taken to restaurants all the time so no problem with that. It's very normal to eat out with friends rather than invite them home for a meal.

However Spanish restaurants don't provide many facilities for kids, not even highchairs for babies in smaller places: babies sit in a pushchair or are passed from lap to lap. No kids menus, they eat spaghetti or similar from ordinary menu.

Small playgrounds all around as many families live in Barcelona.

bcn-milano
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

There is a nice child friendly restaurant in barceloneta: Sal Café http://www.salcafe.com/

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Parc Guell would be a great place to run around in with great views and some crazy gaudi designs that kids love. Theres a huge Aquarium down at the harbour. Whole families eat out together even quite late at night so oyu will find you are welcome most places. When are you going in April? 23rd April is St Georges Day, the patron saint and its a massive celebration. Ladies get red roses, men get books as gifts and 5million roses and nearly as many books are bought on that day. The whole of the Ramblas is taken over with stalls selling books and roses, and theres free concerts everywhere of anything that is in book form - poetry readings, music recitals... and I have seen even nursery school kids being taken round book stalls and shown books available for them! Theres a chocolate museum near the picasso museum that arranges activities for kids like design their own chocolate, or how to make chocolate from the raw ingredients. www.museuxocolata.com When I eat breakfast at Bar Central at the rear of the mighty Boqueria Market, theres often kids sitting alongside with their parents having even the likes of squid for their breakfast, alongside other stallholders, businessmen on their way to work etc etc. Get some fruit at the Boqueria for later healthy snacks! hmmm will have a think and post some more Barcelona for kids ideas. Oh the human statues on the Ramblas is a must also! And theres a small zoo www.bcn.es/parcsijardins will give you a list of some other parks such as parc de la ciutadella. A trip in the cable car over the harbour might be fun www.bcn.cat its the transbordador Aeri. Trixi Bikes are pedal powered 2 seater taxis www.trixi.com and a great way to sit back and go round the Barri Gotic when tired little legs dont want to walk. The bus turistic www.barcelonaturisme.com takes you right round the city all the sights hop on hop off and a two day ticket is good value to whizz round on the open top buses.maybe the www.museumaritimbarcelona.org would be worth a visit in the original medieval dockyard sheds. And the tourist office is very helpful so email them and ask what else they could suggest. Bon viatges!

NYC
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Thanks for the great information Chris! I was very happy to read your suggestions as I'll be in Barcelona with my 5 and 9 year olds in a few weeks. If anything else occurs to you please share some more ideas!

Those Trixi vehicles look like fun (though I have probably chuckled at tourists in the variation of them we have in NYC). I'm prepared to look like a silly tourist in one of those for the sake of amusing the kids in Barcelona and getting a nice view of the city. Do you know where one finds a trixi? it isn't exactly clear on the web site.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Trixis just seem to pop up near to you or you can arrange a booking at a certain time or for a certain route. I also thought the parc de la ciutadella would be handy for the kids as it is within about 10 mins of the picasso museum and there's also rowing boats to hire. Yes be a tourist! Why not! But eat like a local! Tapas comes in good small sizes rather than huge main courses so the kids could try a few local dishes, and Origens 99.9% has a few branches of this (Catalan) restaurant which issues a magazine style menu to tell you about the food they serve, i am sure any child would like to say they ate a gypsy's arm for their dinner! And you can take the magazine away with you. They also give children place mats with a colouring in picture on the reverse! Remember you are in Catalunya not Spain, learn a few words of Catalan hello good bye thanks sorry and push and pull are the most important words in any language unless you want to walk into doors or be very rude! If the children learn some simple words they will be very popular anywhere they go just for making the effort! I will have a think what else I can come up with and report back!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

Hi.

A recent post "Help with itinerary" by "Lutama" might help you. Lutama lists the sights she is going to take young children.

Placa De Vincenc Martorell springs to mind as being a square with a playground and a couple of cafes on it. It is in Raval near the top of the Ramblas.

9. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2009, 03:29
10. Re: Barcelona visit with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:20