We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell SIM card in BCN

Montreal
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cell SIM card in BCN

I've read in this forum that there is a place called "Bright" where you can go to get a SIM card for your GSM cell phone:

http://www.thebrightco.com

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives for finding a "pay-as-you-go" or "top-up" type of SIM card in Barcelona?

Any with unlimited inbound minutes?

Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Yes, there are - many.

Receiving call is free in EU (so far), so all are unlimited inbound, they are called 'prepago' or 'de tarjeta'[tah-rr-hae-tah ?] here

pls see tripadvisor.com/…14680986

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k21539…

page 1 (2)

etc of forum search

Mind the frequency bands are different

:)

Montreal
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Excellent! Thanks for the info / link.

NYC
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

I have Verizon in the US. I was just entitled to an upgrade and took a very unsexy phone that is quad band (i.e, will work on the frequency in Spain).

My Verizon service abroad is abominable; I know there are cheaper SIM options out there, but I am in all likelihood going to buy a Vodafone SIM card before I leave. I found interesting information and attractive options on spainsim.com.

On that site in addition to buying a sim card, you can also buy something called a "Euro Direct" card which is what makes the Vodafone thing so attractive. It's basically a prepaid calling card with a code that you use on your cell phone in conjunction with a Vodafone SIM card. It is a 50 cent connection fee and then 1 cent a minute back to the US and Canada. I am not sure if the Euro Direct card works with other SIM cards.

I haven't purchased mine yet and would love to know if any readers have either used spainsim.com or the Euro Direct card.

Anyway, I thought I would pass that info along as I have been researching the phone issue extensively.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Hi,

I don't know if this applies to Canada, but in the UK several of the service providers 'lock' the handset if they have provided it. This means that it will not take sims from other providers. If this does apply to Canada you might want to check that the phone is not locked or if it is get it unlocked (lots of people offer the service online)

NYC
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Yes I should have mentioned the lock / unlock issue. When I bought the Verizon phone I asked if it could be unlocked and they said that yes, they would do that. Still yet to be seen... If not, ebay sells a million unlocked gsm phones. If you type "unlocked gsm" into a search you'll find a whole range.

barcelona
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

you can go to movistar shop, vodafone shop, supermarket, fnac... most of shops sell it

Ireland
Level Contributor
570 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Hiya, I have a vodafone pay as you go dongle internet Can someone help me as I am looking for a sim card that I could buy and use in Barcelona. Is this possible and if so where can I get one? Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Is passport required for tourist when they buy a sim card? Thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

I've bought sims in 4 continents and never had to prove id, its purely a commercial transaction. Its the first ting I do when I arrive somewhere unless it is a very short visit

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell SIM card in BCN

Debby,

not clear from your post are you just after a sim, or do you want something to replace your dongle ie give you internet access ?