We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

Hi there,

I have narrowed down accommodation choices to 3 GOBCN apts available in the time we need. I know, there are good reviews and bad reviews but at this point I just want something nailed down.

I wonder which of these 3 locations would be safest for 3 Canadian well-travelled 30 something females. We want what everyone wants - safety primarily, not too loud, and near everything. Unfortunately the exact addresses aren;t supplied on the website, just a red dot on the map.

So the three red dot choices are:

1. Barrio Gotico

Comparing to a real map it seems to be just south of the Cathedral near Placa de Saint Miguel. I think this is the best choice as it seems most central but is it safe ish?

TO see the red dot go here and scroll to the bottom

http://www.gobcn.com/AMPLE_2/Ample_2.htm.

2. Old Town

Looks like it is near the San Antoni Metro stration

TO view the red dot ..

www.gobcn.com/DISCOVER_BCN/Discover_bcn.htm

3.Poble Sec

Vaguest of all the red dots, it seems to be just off Ave Parelllee near blasco de garay or C de Tapioles.

red dot is here ..

www.gobcn.com/SWEET_BCN_2/Sweet_bcn_2.htm

Sometimes I think the internet makes things harder, rather than easier ... thanks in advance for your help!

maj

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
841 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

If I had to choose one of those three, I would choose the first one: Barrio Gótico.

scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

Hi

If I had my pick of the three I would probably rule out 2 & 3, based on your needs about the location, and go for 'Barrio Gotico'. The link doesn't work but I think it might be this one?:

www.gobcn.com/BARRIO_GOTICO/Barrio_gotico.htm

I would contact them and ask for a specific address first, then you can look at it on google maps, maybe even on the street level.

Wellington
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

Thanks much. That's what I think too, but reading MORE reviews and looking at other apartment sites I wonder if Gracie or Eixample might be better for safety? Or too far away for the sights?

Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

The Sant Antoni one could be (the map is not clear enough) in the upper Raval. In my opinion the safest location among the 3 is Poble Sec. I'd say Eixample and Gràcia are as safe as Poble Sec. All these areas are quite central.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

I agree the one near Sant Antoni does seem to be in the Raval (aka "multicultural area") and Gotico is at bottom end of the Barri Gotic which is not so good.

Certainly Eixample and Gracia would be my preference as a female travelling with 2 other females. No problem walking round the other areas during the day but nightime is a different matter

Barcelona
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

Hey there

Based on what you want I don’t think you r going to find it in any of those three locations.

Gotico: it is a very loud area full of bars, and it might not b the safest place at night, especially for three girls

Old town is pretty much the same, a nice place to visit during the day but at night it can b loud and not very safe.

The buildings in those two areas might b old.

Poble sec is fine and you are close to ramblas, but I think you can find better areas.

Like someone said before, Eixample derecho o izquierdo is the best option for you, it is very close from la pedrera, casa batlló (two gaudi master pieces), also is a walking distance to las ramblas, the beach, plaza cataluña, the port.

U have the famous paseo de gracia there, which is full of very nice shops and restaurants. And on top of that is the safest area in barcelona.

OHluis

(OH-Barcelona)

7. Re: Local Experts - Which of these 3 locations is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 06:18