We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices -OK?

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choices -OK?

Looking at staying in Barcelona during a September trip - we will not have a car in the city. We would like to stay fairly close to the Ramblas and/or the port/old town areas.

Does anyone have comments, suggestions about the following hotels that we are considering? Any other hotel suggestions are welcome

We don't want to over spend on a hotel but we don't want run-down or seedy. If possible we would want to be under $200.00 per night

1.Moderno - seems ok for our needs - near Cathedral and Ramblas

2.Turin Hotel - ditto (as above)

3.Husa Meson Castilla

4.Catalonia Port

Others???

Thanks

jhg

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

I cannot say much about hotels,

just to say you do not need a car in B.

(and it's a headache with parking)

You walk in Old Town/Port area and public transport covers most of the city.

If you are here around 24th of Sept, it is La Merce - the city patron saint holiday - a lot of to see, but hotels prices go higher, but for 100 - 150 euros you can have choice if booking in advance.

A:)

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

Take a look at Hotel Catedral in the Barri Gottic. It is accross the square from the Cathedral, although down a side street meaning the area is quieter at night. It is a modern hotel with small rooftop pool in a great central location. I took my teenage daughter here last year and we had a lovely stay.

New York
Level Contributor
858 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

JHG Have not stayed in any of the above Hotels but do research on if you really want to in the "center" of things or close enough to get their. I stayed at the Gravina which was very nice except it was a bit hot not sure what the weather will be like in Sept. But this Hotel is 5 min from Placa Catalunya and yet not in the midst some part of the Rablas are a bit seedy and you do need to be careful. As in any city. I would also consider the Gallery Hotel which is modern, but not at all far. Just a suggestion.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

You can check the following hotels in the Eixample district. They should be in your price range, depending on your actual dates:

3-star Hotel Inglaterra Barcelona

3-star Axel Hotel Barcelona

3-star Hotel Jazz

3-star Acta Splendid

3-star Granvia

3-star Hotel Actual

3-star Hotel Astoria

Worcester...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

JHG I heard you say (with a strong conviction) that you wouldn't go on a trip to Barcelona and the Pyrennes because of the basque! Hum, how things have changed.....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

The word is "Basque", with a capital B.

7. Re: Hotel choices -OK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 07:17