We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Hey everyone,

Planning a trip for next summer; we've been to Europe many times but Spain will be a first for us. We've narrowed it down to Andalusia and Barcelona - 12 days in Andalusia, 7 days in Barcelona. Wondering if this seems doable before we start planning other specifics. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Well it is certainly doable, but only you can know is such an itinerary suits you and your interests and your budget, of course.

IMO 12 days in Andalucia is perhaps a bit more than needed. If you are flying direct from Chicago/USA then I assume you can get a flight to Seville. Assuming, again, self drive then a nice round trip could look like Seville (3 nights) - Ronda/Jerez/Malaga (over 2 nights) - Granada (2 nights) - Cordoba (1 night).

You now have four extra days to play with - I suggest central Spain has as much to offer as anywhere in Spain - Madrid/Toledo/El Escorial/Segovia are all well worth a visit over say 4/5 nights.

This still gives you the best part of a week around Barcelona, which will be plenty.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

The key cities to know the main cultures of Spain are:

* Seville, the gate to Andalusia (The Moorish & Mediterranean influence)

* Barcelona, the gate to Catalonia (The European & Mediterranean culture)

* Santiago de Compostela, the gate to Galicia (The Celtic & Atlantic culture)

* San Sebastian, the gate to Basque (An ancient European culture & language of unknown origin)

* Salamanca, one of the gates to Castile, the heart of Spain from the Middle Age.

* Madrid, the capital of Spain and the "meeting point" of all national cultures. Madrid is often called the "breakwater" of all the Spanish cultures.

More info:

www.spain.info/TourSpain/?Language=en

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Seville
Seville
Barcelona
Barcelona
Santiago de Compostela
Santiago de Compostela
Province of A Coruna, Spain
Basque Country
Basque Country
Pyrenees-Atlantiques, France
Madrid
Madrid
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

All of the places Revulgo mentions are beautiful and worthy of visiting but can you do everything in one go - my advice is no. Pick three regions and enjoy at your own pace. Andalucia, Castile and Catalonia will be a wonderful introduction to a beautiful country. The Basque region, Galicia and perhaps my personal favourite for scenery and wine-drinking, Rioja can all be seen next time !

Mentioned in this post
The Basque
The Basque
166 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Revulgo describes the different cultures of Spain very well. Some people say 3 nights is enough in Barcelona and some say 10 nights is not enough. You should consider some side trips if you stay 7 nights, like Girona, Vilanova il Geltru, Tarragona etc. Madrid deserves 3 or 4 nights, go to Toledo and/or Segovia. Then Seville, my favorite city anywhere for 3 or 4 nights. Cordoba is best done as a daytrip. Granada needs 2 nights, also my favorite small city anywhere. From there you could spend extra nights in Malaga, Ronda, Jerez, Cadiz (beach). Andalucia is extremely hot from July through Sep., like West Texas hot.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Toledo
Toledo
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Seville
Seville
Cordoba
Cordoba
Granada
Granada
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Thanks all of you to your suggestions! We still have many months to play around with our itinerary but it's coming together. Thanks again!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

i agree re madrid etc . or maybe lisbon?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Thanks everyone and I'll be asking you more specifics as we get closer to next year's trip. We have a great tentative schedule of where we're going. We're not those that totally "plan" out every detail since, at least with us, it is never works out that way. Thanks again! :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Yes Andalucia is hot in the summer with Costa de a Luz (Atlantic coast) a bit cooler than the rest. I do think you could fill 12 days in Andalucia including somme smaller places but July/August is not the best time for it.

The Castilles (Madrid, Toledo, Salamanca et al) will also be very hot then whereas Galicia and the north coast "Green Spain" is cooler. We were there last summer and it is very beautiful and very different from both Catalonia and Andalucia. In fact we drove across Castille (overnights in Burgos, Astorga and Lugo) to Santiago then went along the north coast and spent a week in a holiday cottage near Vilaviciosa (asturias) before heading back to Santander and then La rioja.

Barcelona has very high humidity in the summer so that cuts down your energy for sightseeing. 7 days is plenty for Barcelona incl. day-trips (to girona, tarragona, Monstserrat et al); or you do do 3-4 days in Barcelona and a few days on mid-Costa Brava and visit Girona and smaller towns and villages from there.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Toledo
Toledo
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Burgos
Burgos
Province of Burgos, Spain
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
La Rioja
La Rioja
171 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Girona
Girona
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
9. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2009, 16:05
Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spain 2010 - first trip...suggestions please

Hello - We did Andalusia for 14 days last year and it was perfect. Fly into seville and spend 2 or 3 nights. Then take the TGV train 45mn to Cordoba and spend 2 nights. It's a lovely liitle town and our accomodation was super (let me know if you need the name). From Cordoba catch a train to Granada (about 3 hours). I wouldn't spend more than 2 nights in Granada. The highlight is Alhambra (out of this world - amazing) but the town itself doesn't have much to offer except bad food and bad service.

From Granada, you will need to rent a car because getting down to the coast is not very practical by train.

The drive is pleasant and if I recall well, about 2 hours.

We stayed at the Westin high above Marbella for 6 nights. It was the perfect location to get around the south (Malaga, Cardiff, Gibraltar, Tarifa and most important Ronda).

Hope this help...Let me know if you need additional info

Mentioned in this post
Cordoba
Cordoba
Granada
Granada
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga