We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches outside of Barcelona?

Orange, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches outside of Barcelona?

I will be in Barcelona for 3 days in late July and plan on hitting the beach for an afternoon while I am there. I have heard from friends and read online a bit that some of the nicer/less crowded beaches are located to the north or south of Barcelona outside the city area. Can anyone provide any recommendations for beaches that are accessible via metro outside of Barcelona to the north or south? We are possibly thinking about a day trip to Sitges, I have heard good things about the beaches there as well.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches outside of Barcelona?

Hi,

Barcelona itself has several beaches but it sounds like they are not what you are looking for. As for beaches to the north and south, they are not covered by the metro. The nicer less crowded beaches are like that because they are are more difficult to get too. The local train covers some of the resort towns to the north but the best quietest beaches can only be accessed by road.

Having said that Sitges is easily accessible, a short journey by train and it is well worth a visit, but the beach will not be quiet at that time of year. Vilanova i la Geltru, a little farther on the same train might be a better bet, it is less touristy.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches outside of Barcelona?

on late july, anywhere easily accesible with metro (only city beaches), train (most towns north or south) and even by road will be crowded. the only quiet beaches re the small caves only accessible on foot or by boat. nearly 6 million people in the area head to the coasts, plus a few million of foreigners

sitges is a nice town but the beach in vilanova is better as said above. at least its bigger so it feels not so crowded (will be full of people anyway)

if you just want to cool off for and afternoon, take the metro to the beaches near port olimpic or mar bella and save travel time. 3 days is barcelona is not much

if you want to explore the area, you can easily combine sitges and vilanova as a daytrip. quite a few interesting sights in both towns apart of the beaches

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches outside of Barcelona?

Sitges gets my vote, 30 mins train journey away.

4. Re: Beaches outside of Barcelona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 06:19