We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

Phoenix
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

So I am flying into Barcelona from the United States. I leave from Phoenix, Arizona early in the morning on September 16, fly into New York City, transfer, and go straight to Barcelona for a total of 17hrs airport travel time.

I arrive in Barcelona on September 17th in the morning, but anticipate being exhausted from the travel.

I leave Barcelona September 24th in the late morning.

So basically I have 6 full days in Barcelona.

This is my first time in Europe, and it looks like the cheapest and fastest way to check out other places is through some of the low cost air carriers like ryanair or easyjet. I have heard awful things about ryanair - like the CEO wanting to charge to use the restroom on the plan - ludicrous! I dont know anything about easyjet, but it looks like they may have hidden fees also.

I am wondering if I chose to travel to somewhere else like italy, or switerland, or paris, or maybe one of the islands?

1) How much time is going to be eaten up at the airports.

2) Am I going to have to go through customs again in Barcelona? How about at my destination like italy, paris, etc? Do I have to go through customs there also?

3) If I do decide to go should I stay the night? I would probably keep my hotel room in Barcelona for convenience of leaving bags there and not having to switch hotels.

4) If I should go. Where should I go?! What would be a good day trip?

I realie there are a million different answers, but thats EXACTLY what I am looking for. So answer away! ;-)

Thanks!

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,045 reviews
from US$146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,947 reviews
from US$44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
440 reviews
from US$112.70*
US$118.63
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

I am not clear on whether you are planning to go to different places after the 24th or between the 18th and 24th. If the latter is the case, I would encourage you to spend your time in Barcelona and its environs - plan other trips for other areas - You would be spending considerable time getting to, from and in the airports with or without customs; most airports are a distance from the cities they serve -

There are wonderful day trips from Barcelona - to beaches, historical sights etc not to mention the city itself. I am going in Sept on my first trip to Barcelona - I will have three days and I know I will only touch the surface of what the city has to offer

Phoenix
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

Thanks for your response janeharriet! To clarify I am talking about taking a trip between the states of September 18th - September 23rd. I will leave back for the United States at 8am September 24th.

That is what I am trying to establish is it worth it or even feasible to try and cram in a day trip by air to somewhere like france, italy, etc. Or would I end up wasting to much time at airports.

I spent two weeks in Japan in February. My hotel was located in tokyo, and I spent a week traveling around the city by foot and by subway/metro. I spent another week taking day trips from tokyo using the high speed trains. This was very convenient and inexpensive with a rail pass.

However, high speed train travel from spain neither seems convenient or inexpensive. It looks like it is very expensive, and takes a long time to get anywhere noteworthy. I could be completely wrong about high speed train travel though. I am hoping I am!

I would love to do some day trips while I am there, and get the most out of my time there. I would still like to relax and enjoy myself too, which is the trick to any vacation! ;-)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

So you're going for 6 nights? Definitely no sense to do daytrips/overnight trips to other countries. There are several day trips to take out to places in Barcelona's vicinity (in particular, Montserrat and Figueres). One day you can take a trip to Montserrat with an evening back in Barcelona, and another day you can do Figueres for the Dali museum, possibly along with Girona (don't know anything about Girona but people here say it's a good city to visit). And 4 days is perfect time to explore Barcelona itself.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

My daughter and I took a 3 night/4 day cruise out of BCN to South of France, Monte Carlo and Ibiza. We "played" in BCN before and after. May be a good option.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

Bacillius that is actually the idea I am leaning towards. Monserrat was already on my must do list, and I have also looked into Girona, but I had not heard of figuerres. I will have to look into that. Thank you for that contribution! ;-)

Phoenix
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

Thanks for that idea fishermanswife. I will definitely look into that. I actually noticed some really nice 12 day mediterranean cruises leaving out of barcelona that made port in 9 or 10 different places. That sounds like an amazing way to see a lot of different places in a short amount of time. I wish we would of done that this time, but we are talking about perhaps doing that in the next couple years.

So many places to go. So little time..... and money! =P

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,362 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

I think that when you rush around to many different countries in one very short trip,you don't really get the "feel" of any of them.

You can just check off a list and say ,"I went to.....

6 days is a very short visit to even get to see Spain.

I make sure I sleep on the plane(even if I take something to help) and so am wide awake and energetic from the start. In fact I find my prob is that I cannot sleep well at night .

In my plans so far, it seems like it will take at least full days to do/see everything I want in Barcelona. Then you could go to other nearby towns like already mentioned, or stay in a small town on the coast, OR go to Madrid for a few days.

You could also go to one of the islands off the coast of Spain too.

If you already have plane tickets then I definitely wouldn't add another country. IF you don't have your plane tickets then I might fly into Barcelona and out of somewhere else but not a round trip back and forth in the middle.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

6 nights isn't that long for Barcelona incl. day trips. If you want to add another country to say you've been you could go to Andorra (in the mountains) for the day. Or you could get the train and go to the south of France (collioure for example, is very pretty).

If you insist on flying somewhere abroad then yes do use Easyjet not Ryanair. Firstly Easyjet flies from BCN (not GRO) and the price that comes up as fare includes taxes already. if you travel with hand-luggage only and pay by Visa electron (and ditch travel insurance) that is exactly what you pay as final price. Easyjet's only negative point to us is the "free-for-all" for seats when boarding.

Vueling, Barcelona-based budget operator also has good deals to many European and Spanish cities.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

Spend all of your time in Barcelona and Catalonia. 6 days is not a lot of time. Don't try to fly somewhere else and don't spend most of your time on a cruise ship.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need lots of advice to make a good decision! =)

I have not been to Spain yet, but I am looking to go to another destination for a portion of our 8-night trip. I am planning 4 nights in BCN, with 1 daytrip to the Dali museum and Girona.

Have you considered going to another part of Spain? Seville has a totally different flavor, especially with the Moorish influence. Other destinations in Andelusia are Granada and Cordoba, as well as others.

You can either take the AVE high speed train for BCN to Sevilla, but I am taking a flight out of BCN the first day in since I will already be at the airport. There is baggage storage in Terminal B I understand, so we are planning on leaving half of our bags there before our flight out. Flights can be very inexpensive, so inexpensive you could do an overnight trip. A daytrip may burn too much time in transit, IMO, but if it is the only chance you have to see an area, why not?

BTW, I am using edreams.com for info on flights, as it is a Spanish-based travel site with lots of options, and all the discounted airlines show there from what I see.