We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

Has anyone flown AirEuropa from New York to Barcelona (I realize it stops in Madrid first) and lived to tell about it? They're offering an incredibly good fare right now for late August, but I have no experience with this airline. I"d never even heard of it before I started searching fares. Can anyone comment on its transatlantic service? Thanks.

NYC
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

I have flown it to Madrid many times and live to tell...That said, all of my Air Europa flights were back in the 90's. I have also flown Spanair (and will do so again in a few weeks to get from Barcelona to Malaga).

Air Europa is now part of Sky Team alliance which gives it a more credible ring I guess. Honestly, I never had a problem. That said I am not really a fan of off brand airlines and I am not that excited about my Spaniar flights-- but the fares were too compelling to ignore. I am flying Delta to Barcelona next week using frequent flier seats, but they had amazing fares as well-- my sister got her tickets for $500 round trip in the height of the summer.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

Thanks so much. Delta had great fares a few weeks ago for my dates, but we didn't have our act together enough to book and missed them, but maybe they'll come back. I have almost 2 months before departure. If nothing better comes up for around the AirEuropa price, I guess I'll try it. So I do appreciatge your feedback. I, too, try to avoid off-brand airlines, but I just had a miserable experience on American flying back from Mexico, so even the brands don't mean you'll have a particularly good experience.

NYC
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

True. Also, for whatever it is worth, my sister originally bought her Delta ticket for $900 through Expedia. I tracked the flux in the fares on yapta.com. When it went down to around $500, she called Delta and was able to obtain a refund for the difference. True story. No urban legend. Sometimes you wait to long only to discover that you've been priced out. Good luck!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
383 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

We flew from Mallorca to Madrid on AirEuropa. The plane was def. an older plane with no frills.

I had the choice between AirEuropa or Continental from NYC/Newark - Barcelona for my trip to Barcelona in early June. I chose Contintental based on the fact that I knew the airline, and it was a direct flight. Every seat had it's own TVs also, which was great for such a long flight.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

I believe the AirEuropa flight through Madrid (ultimately to EWR) is actually a continental flight with Air Europa as its partner airline.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

I thought -- and hoped -- the AirEuropa flight to Madrid was Continental, too, except the transatlantic AirEuropa flight leaves from JFK, not Newark, and Continental doesn't have flights to Madrid/Barcelona from JRK. So I guess AirEuropa has invested in a few big planes, or is partnering with another airline. They just raised the price, so I'm still stalling on booking...but hope to do it this week. Thanks for the help.

I may as well ask the second question: Has anyone rented a car from Alamo in Barcelona (I wouldn't use the car in Barcelona, but I'm ultimately driving to a house in southern France). I'm only using Alamo because of a huge company discount. There's a few horror reviews, but every car rental company seems to have its share of horror reviews (Hertz's were worse).

johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

Hi there, Just saw your note.

Regarding car rentals, we always use Holiday Autos - have been doing so for quite a few years and always satisfied - they deal with large well-known and smaller companies. They get us competitive prices - we have just booked Europecar through them - also going from Spain to France and back - at a good price - don't, of course, know if its better than your company deal - try www.holidayautos.com - funilly enough after my on line try, I called their offices and even got a better deal - which one would have thought is not normally the case. Good luck.

London
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

I flew Air Europa from London to Buenos Aires via MADRID and had no problems at all. Air Europa are Spains second largest airline so no need to worry. All their aircraft are under 3.5 years old so one of the most modern fleets in the industry. Good level of service and TV screens at the back of every seat. Movies are on demand with the option of watching in Spanish or English. Madrid Terminal 1 is also a better experience than Paris or Frankfurt!

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

Well, I'll answer my own topic, as a way of paying back all the help I've received on Trip Advisor.

So here's my experience with the new Air Europa trans-Atlantic service -- the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good: There was a problem with my outgoing flight on Aug. 17. I received an emergency e-mail from Orbitz informing me that my connecting flight on Air Europa from Madrid to Barcelona had been changed to a later flight. Although I didn't know why until I got to JFK, it was because the Air Europa flight from JFK to Madrid would be delayed 3 hours because of a technical problem with the plane (the bad). I give Air Europa points for rebooking me and my travel companion, knowing that we would not make our originally scheduled connecting flight to Barcelona given the the 3-hour delay at JFK. Hey, they were proactive. I didn't think we'd make the later connecting flight, but Air Europa in New York said if that happened, they would either rebook us on another airline or put us up in a hotel in Madrid. Bad as this sounds, at least AE did anticipate a problem with our connecting flight and automatically rebooked us instead of forcing us to do this ourselves in Madrid. In my travel experience, this is unusual. We did make the rebooked connecting flight -- actually, had plenty of time to spare. And the 3-hour delay was exactly that -- we were supposed to take off at 9:30 p.m. and we took off at 12:30 a.m. -- in other words, 3 hours was 3 hours, not 5 or 10 hours. So I give AE points for handling a crisis (a huge delay) well by automatically rebooking us, and for be honest and accurate about just how much of a delay there would be. Three hours was three hours.

The Bad: As others have said, AE has crammed in the seats. The aisles are extremely narrow, and if the person in front of you reclines his or her seat, that person is in your lap. But there seems to be a new etiquette in these constrained conditions: You're allowed to tell the person they're too far in your lap and to recline their seat less. This was new for me. Sometimes the air stewards come in to mitigate these delicate situations.

More Bad: Even though we took off 3 hours late, the air stewards seemed to operate as if we had taken off at the scheduled 9:30 p.m. time. In other words, when people would obviously be trying to sleep, the pilot and staff burdened us with endless announcements (not the safety stuff, which is important) throughout the night, and when it was about 3 a.m., they flashed on the lights and made more announcements. It was probably to sell stuff. I tried not to listen. They're on automatic pilot, regardless of the change in schedule. These annoying announcements were made in Spanish and English, in case anyone was interested.

For the return, from Barcelona to Madrid to JFK: This flight left pretty much on time from Madrid, except AE seems to rate low on the takeoff and landing runways of the respective airports. The plane traverses down the runway, and then stops, obviously having to wait for the bigger carriers to take off or land. Again, those are the problems of any small airline.

On the return, I took the risk of, gasp, checking a bag from Barcelona to Madrid to JFK, and gasp, it arrived with me at JFK. And they do track luggage electronically (someone on TA said they didn't).

Surprisingly, on the return they did serve a meal that we didn't have to pay for (I'd stuffed myself at the Madrid airport thinking there would be no food on AE for more than 7 hours). And I got free wine with the meal (pasta with a few pieces of chicken). Go figure.

But when we landed at JFK, there was a long wait on the runway. Again, the disadvantages of a small-potatoes airline.

The Bad: I believe I left something on the return flight, a medical item that has no value for anyone but me. It's very difficult to reach anyone at AE this side of the Atlantic about any problems. I made 6 calls to JFK, and a few to the numbers AE left on its site. I'm waiting for a Freddy Sanchez, who's supposedly a supervisor at AE at JFK to call me back about whether this item was found near my seat and turned in anywhere. And I'm still waiting, after leaving a voice mail this morning. Maybe he got a jump-start on the Labor Day weekend. Freddy--please call me back when you return to work. I left you my numbers. Please call.

Frankly, this airfare was low, and despite the glitches, I would fly AE again on this route, but only for a very low fare.

10. Re: AirEuropa--Transatlantic flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:16