We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airport for Barcelona ???

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Which airport is nearer to Barcelona ? Girona or Reus or does it make a difference ????

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

If you aren't flying direct into Barcelona, I'd opt for Girona, bigger airport (although Reus is expanding) and transport to Barcelona is easier imo.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Barcelona airport - BCN - is the only airport in Barcelona. On various travel sites Girona is listed as a Barcelona airport but it is very far away, nearly an hour. BCN is located a reasonable distance from the city center and transportation to and from the airport is avaliable by many local and regional bus and rail lines, taxi also. I've not heard of Reus.

My friend booked a flight from "Barcelona" to "Paris" and spent a terrible amount of time and money because both of the airports were way out of town. Don't be lulled into a cheaper flight that might cause you extra travel time and money. Barcelona is wonderful. I've just returned from three weeks in and around the Barcelona area and it is a wonderful place to visit.

Enjoy.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

No problem either way. Assuming you're travelling Ryanair, Girona is 50km way out of Barcelona, but there's a really cheap and efficient airoport bus, at regular intervals ove r the day, which takes a bit over an hour to Barcelona central.

But Girona is a lovely city too...

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Actually, more than 100kms away from BCN...

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Thank you all very much,my parents fly into Girona from Shannon with Ryanair,got ridiculously cheap flights for them !

I will post again regarding an itinerary & hopefully you will be able to help us out again.

Thank you,

Mary

Reus Airport services the Costa Daurada & is not too far from Barcelona,am i right in saying this ??????

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Hi,

It is also around 100 kms from Barcelona (in the opposite direction to Girona)

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

if you are flying ryanair make sure that you play strictly by the rules. their weight limit for check in is 15kgs if you have paid for a bag. if there are 2 ppl you cant pool your luggage. e.g. if you have 14 and 16 that's classed as overweight and they will stung you with a charge. if you haven't paid to check a bag in then check their website for the dimensions they allow for carry on baggage, its smaller than other airlines and if you exceed this by only a small amount you may find that you have to pay to check it in after all. sometimes these ridiculously cheap flights can work out to be ridiculously expensive. I overheard someone in liverpool airport recently on the phone ranting and raving saying that they had to pay £150 excess baggage. My guess is that it wasn't so much excess baggage as that they hadn't read that you had to pay to check a bag in.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Thank you for the above reply & helpful info regarding Ryanair,luggage is checked in & as they are only going for 4 days they won't have alot !

Ryanair is still offering some great cheap flights but as you say they key is to read the fine print & to be under NO ILLUSIONS as to what you are actually paying for !

wales
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

hi i got back from barcelona yesterday we flew to reus with ryan air £65 return. there is a coach that goes from the airport to barcelona it is 12.50 euro takes about an hour which is really cheap and drops of at the bus station. a friend flew to gerona and it took him the same amount of time to get there so would say either really. we took just 10kg hand luggage so were straight out no hanging around for baggage made it so much easier..

but beware 10 of us went 6 got either mugged or pickpocketed the pick pockets are so quick a friend had his chain taken off by a lad with 1 hand quick as a flash he didint even notice till it fell down his t shirt be carefull

London, England
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Airport for Barcelona ???

Yeah- theft in Barcelona- sad but true- the only place my very streetwise wife ever got dipped in 30 years of travel and 40 years of London commuting was there when a lovely old man with granddaughter and her baby helped her by holding open the door of an enclosed bank ATM unit as she left after making a machine withdraway - helping themselves to her purse on the way! Lucky she'd handed me the cash from the ATM, and we had a phone to cancel her credit cards, so she only lost a couple of quid; think of it as tourist tax. So be streetwise.

On the other hand, I have no sympathy with Ryanair traveller who can't read the very obvious messages about luggage limits and who have to pay through the nose- long may you subsidise the 8many flights I take each year with the lovely Michael O'leary's airline; with hand luggage so we travel for an average of twenty quid a go and get out to the bus or hire car first. Sorry to sound smug but if you can't do a couple of weeks on ten kilos of kit for a fortnight maybe you should rethink your travel plan. Hasta luego companeros!