We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

Northampton UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

We'd like to arrange a day trip for 4 people to Montserrat mid-October & want to know people's experiences...

Not sure whether to book on a day trip - anyone reccommend any?

Or maybe make our own way there - haven't got a car so would be looking at bus or train option - any suggestions?

Finally any particular days to avoid & money saving tips...

Please help!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

This gives info about how to get there by train,

prices,etc.

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

I have been told that IF it is raining or foggy then you probably shouldn't go so I wouldn't book a tour ahead. The train seems best.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

I recommend not to take a tour, and I recommend to walk/ trek from Monistrol to Montserrat, or once you are in Monserrat.

The weather shouldn't be different than in Barcelona

Northampton UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

thanks both for those great tips.. don't think we'll book on a trip now - will go for public transport option! anyone else got any comments or suggestions?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,552 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

Hi,

The point Riffsmom was making about the weather is that if it rainy or misty it will be worse at Montserrat as it is a mountain and a major reason for going there are the views. The article posted by Riffsmom tells you everything you need to know on how to get there. If you have no preference for either the cable car or the rack railway up the mountain, you can take one up and the other down.

Northampton UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

Many thanks - love this forum and all you lovely contributors!

california
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

i just returned from barcelona last week and visited montserrat. definitely head there yourself (do not take a tour). we took a tour and felt the time was rushed. this will definitely be a day's trip worth. u will have a great time exploring the different trails. dont forget the boy's choir sings at 1pm and the black virgin is located here as well. we took the san joan tram, and it was definitely worth the view. have a wonderful time!

Northampton UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

we arrive barcelona wednesday 14/10 & return wednesday 23/10 - are there any days to avoid or is the retreat open to the public throughout this time?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

Unlike others here I would recommend going by way of a tour & not go by public transport. After you get there you do not need a guide - but getting there is not straightforward.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

We did not take a tour and had the best time there. We loved navigating our way there by train. We did get tickets ahead of time in a booth by the Columbus statue by Las Ramblas. This was in 2007, so I am not sure if it is still there. But it included a fantastic lunch- like 5 courses each and tickets to all of the museums and such once we got there. It was so much fun and very spiritual. Go on the funicular tram once there... it is fun... right up to the top of the mountains with amazing views. Just so much fun!

10. Re: best way to enjoy a day trip to Montserrat (from Barcelona)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2010, 06:17