We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Boqueria

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
La Boqueria

Reading posts about this attraction makes me want to experience this...but...I can't stand the smell of fish!! I realise that fish is sold here and of course it will smell, but wonder if the entire market has a fishy aroma, or is it just in the fish area, otherwise I'll stay outside while my group visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Boqueria

This is a huge market and at least at the entry area, is mainly fruit and vegetables plus delicatessen stores selling amazing and very expensive hams. The fruit stalls all make the most delicious fruit juice combinations, like strawberry and coconut, or blueberry, or just plain OJ, maybe 20 different combinations.

I don't even recall if we reached a fish section. I usually take photos of the fish but I have none from there, so go visit, it is amazing.

www.flickr.com/photos/43428805@N07/4021466222/in/set-72157622438166379/

www.flickr.com/photos/43428805@N07/4020705645/in/set-72157622438166379/

www.flickr.com/photos/43428805@N07/4020706149/in/set-72157622438166379/

www.flickr.com/photos/43428805@N07/4021467098/in/set-72157622438166379/

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Boqueria

the fish stalls are in the central part. i can't remember much smell (but i love the fish displays and for me are one of the most interesting parts of this market). anyway you can easily avoid the fish area. in the area of fruits definitely the deliciuos fruits smells are much stronger than any fish smell or other.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Boqueria

There are lots of fish stalls but you're likely to see them before you smell them and as already pointed out, they're not near the front of the market. The smell of fish is definitely not all pervading.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: La Boqueria

by the way, we barcelonins are very 'picky' regarding quality of food and especially fish so a smelly place will loose clients quickly ;)

said that, the salted cod stalls tend to be smelly but this is due the nature of the product. you can easily avoid them.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Boqueria

Very easy solution is to rub peppermint extract or Vick's vapor rub under your nose before entering the market. A common method for dealing with dead bodies, LOL.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Boqueria

This info has been great....now I can venture inside and won't miss the marvellous experience!

THANKS!!

johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Boqueria

Hi there Lara..

If you want to add to your Boqueria experience, and one which is far from the fish stalls - have breakfast at one of the market cafes - or lunch - two are located write at the front end - Universal on the left side of the front and Pinotxo right in the centre front - especially the latter is run by a really great character running his stall for more than 20 years. Best regards.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Boqueria

I visited Barcelona a year and a half ago and La Boqueria was one of the highlights of the visit. Don't miss it.

New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: La Boqueria

La Boqueria was by far one of my favorite experiences in Barcelona! Be sure to have lunch in one of the amazing counters inside the market for some of the freshest and delicious food you will ever eat!

If your interested here is a video I took of it when I was there last month... truly a feast for the eyes and senses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLojAE5H9yw

10. Re: La Boqueria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 05:30