We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Barcelona

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Flight to Barcelona

This has been vexing me for ages now. I'm booking a JFK-MAD-BCN flight with Iberia. All clear with one hour-and-half stop in Madrid. However, the little line under the airport name says "No plane change." Pardon? Questions go through my head.

1) I stay on the plane for an hour and half?

2) If not, will I be able to get off?

3) Will I have to get my bags at the baggage claim?

4) Will I have to go through the passport control?

5) Will i have to go through security?

Let me know... So I know what I should expect so I won't waste so much time squeezing a lot of things in an hour and half.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,566 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Barcelona

As it states no" plane change" at Madrid airport. I would think that customs and immigration processing would be at Barcelona airport.

It is best you contact Iberia at JFK for clarification.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Barcelona

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I could contact Iberia in the USA (I may live in Canada, but I'm taking a bus to NYC because it's $100 cheaper overall), but I am hearing impaired, so telephone is not my best friend (as same for all electronic sounds). My last resort is to ask my friend to do a phone call for me to get the info from the airline. I just don't like making people do that... I feel I'd be bugging them. ;)

I am talking to a friend who is a pilot, though he has no experience with Madrid and Iberia. He did tell me that I am most likely to remain on the plane or in least case, be given a transit pass and sit at the boarding lounge. He asked me to give him the flight number and where I am booking the flight and he'll look around for more information.

But I am still open for further information to see who has experience JFK-MAD-BCN (or perhaps a different US city but same stop in Madrid to get to BCN with "no plane change").

Thanks again. I'll let you all know if I know enough.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 02:48
Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Barcelona

Try posting on the TA air travel forum too, mr Vidal

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Barcelona

one way or another, you should verify the answer to your question directly with the airline. From the information I see, the flight is labelled "no local traffic" which suggests that it will arrive in BCN as an international arrival. Whether Iberia permits you to disembark is an operational issue with the airline, and only the airline can answer unless you discover someone who has taken this fllight. Does the answer to your question affect your decision to take this flight?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Barcelona

I will keep it in mind about contacting the airline. Thank you.

No, it will not affect my decision. The fares are going up and I managed to book the price at $555 and now I have two days to pay for it. I won't have much of a choice, barring another similar price deal.

I just want to know what I should expect from this trip. I rarely fly on planes, so "no plane change" concept is wholly new to me.

I also posted on the TA Air Travel forum as well.

Thanks once again!

Edited: 06 December 2009, 04:53
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,566 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to Barcelona

Iberia airllines appears to be a shy airline, has they do not appear to publish their E-Mail address.

Should you be looking for a bargain fare to Barcelona, we travel around Europe using Air Berlin and have had no problems. They now have an Intercontinental air service from New York to Barcelona via Germany.

www.airberlin.com

Passenger comments and experiences with airlines.

www.airlinequality.com

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to Barcelona

Unfortunately it appears that Air Berlin does not have a flight from JFK in February (Feb. 19th till 27 or 28). That is my winter break from university and my birthday. So I'm spoiling myself. ;)

And the other link... I spent hours on it reading comments.

As usual, thanks again. :)

Edited: 06 December 2009, 05:41
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,566 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to Barcelona

Check flights on www.edreams.com

they are offering 394 euro JFK_BCN_JFK with Delta Airlines.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight to Barcelona

note that, even when it has flights, airberlin's connections render this into a transit time of more than double that of most 1 stop connections. the travel agency website giving the AF/Delta flight is merely a portal to the same flight information one can obtain directly and more secirely.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,566 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight to Barcelona

I travel a lot and the web has never let me down, when you have decided your destination, check the web and grab a bargain.