We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about visiting Montserrat

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Question about visiting Montserrat

We're planning to visit Montserrat and i was wondering what is better: to go by ourselves on train or take guided tour?

if we're going by ourselves , where can we buy tickets? also , what is more interesting and scenic the cable car or the mountain tram?

Liege
Level Contributor
260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

At the tourist office on Plaza Catalunya (dow the stair ) you can buy bus ticket or tour to go to Montserrat but I cannot tell what is the best way ...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

Do the trip to Montserrat on the public train,then you are in control of the time you spend at Montserrat. You can change to the funicular train or take the Cable car (extra cost) .

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

I prefer DIY to guided, but it's very much personal choice. Both the mountain tram and the cable car have their merits. Unfortunately the last time we checked there wasn't a composite ticket that included train from Barcelona and the tram and the cable car. You could get a return from Barcelona to Monistrol de Montserrat, get off one stop early at Montserrat Aeri, pay for a single trip in the cable car (up) and then a single trip (down) on the tram on your return (this takes you to Monistrol De Montserrat station. Would be more expensive but if it's a much anticipated excursion, why not?

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

We did the trip to Montserrat by ourselves. It's pretty easy to do.

need to catch a train from the metro station Placa D'Espanya.

When we travelled there was an information stall for travelling to Montserrat and as we were cutting it fine time wise the girl manning the stall came to the ticket machine and helped us choose the correct tickets.

You have two choices the first is to get the train straight to Montserrat the second is to get off a stop earlier and get the cable car up. I'd recommend the second option.

Also which we didn't realise until we were due to leave is that you can go up to a higher point while you are there. I can't remember if you do this by train or another cable car but if you enquire at the information point when you get there they should be able to tell you.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

Hello,

I'm not long back from Barcelona and went to Montserrat last Sunday - all I can say is WOW!!!!

We purchased the tickets from the tourist office on Placa Catalunya and chose the ones for around 36 euros which included the return metro journeys from Catalunya to Espanya, train, cable car, funiculars ( 2 mountain trams which take you to different parts of the mountain), lunch at the self service restaurant, museum and audio visual guides (which we did not use). We also got a 10% off for using our bus turistic discount coupon.

I have a fear of heights but was able to go in the cable car no problem mainly due to the totally incredible views on the way up, I also managed the funicular further up the mountain no problem at all.

However next time I think I would purchase the tickets without lunch, buy something from one of the excellent patisseries in Barcelona before heading there and sit and eat in the open air and enjoy the views.

IMO the museum was a bit of a let down, i really thought there would be more about the history of Montserrat in it, there were a lot of paintings and the last thing I expected to find - ancient Egyptian artifacts, a mummy and a mummified crocodile (a look of fear crept over my friends face as I zoned into it - she claims I am Egypt obsessed lol!!!!)

The Monestary - with it being a Sunday there were a few services being held, although it was busy I was glad I chose that day to go, the services were beautiful.

Slight mishap with the train on the way back, the train was due at 4.25pm and I would say all the people waiting hopped on, well I don't think it was the right train. After a few stops the train came to a halt, we sat there for 10 minutes not moving (no announcements in any language), another train came along and one or two people got off our train and onto this one - still our train did not move, a few minutes later we along with a few Americans twigged we must have to change trains, was so glad we did!!!! I'm still wondering what happened to the other tourists who just sat there.

I'm glad we opted for the train, the guided tours were over the 50 euro mark and we had the flexibility of spending as much time as we wanted there and the truly incredible views of going up in the cable car - far better than from a tour bus.

Suzie :-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

If we're going by train, where can I fine schedules/prices from Barcelona? and where I can buy tickets?

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

Hello again,

There is a tourist information centre in Placa Catalynya I purchased my tickets there, they also give you a sheet of paper with train times when you purchase the tickets.

If you look at reply no. 2 from Nurioopta - they give a link which gives you the train times, ticket options and prices

Suzie

Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

Yes, thank you I found this info....

This question was regarding thread 'Pyrenees Mountains Small Group Day Trip from Barcelona'

Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

After doing some research, we'd like to take train from Barcelona to Montserrat and Cremallera Funicular (last train station) and return back via Cable Car (Aeri) .

1. I was wondering is I can buy only one way combine ticket train + Cremallera Funicular ?

2. where at Montserrat I can buy return combined ticket Cable Car (Aeri) + train?

Cable Car (Aeri) to the Monastery and the other ticket type is to go up to the Monastery by the Cremallera Funicular

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,963 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about visiting Montserrat

Gibot, this thread may answer some of your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k35151…

You can also send send your questions directly to FGC on their website. They respond very quickly.