We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

Okay. So I'm traveling to Barcelona for the 6th time next month, and my travel plans were just disrupted. The lovely apartment I rented in Gracia cancelled me, so I got re-booked in a spot in Eixample Dreta (on Arago just a block from the Girona metro). The apartment looks nice, but I just don't know enough about the area.

Probably unreasonably, when I think of that part of town, I think big windswept boulevards, unattractive modern buildings, and no charm - Torre Agbar, the big bus station and the Glories mall, basically. We've always stayed in Gracia or Sarria before.

We're a family traveling with a 4 year old daughter. Can you get me excited rather than apprehensive about our new location? Where's the OpenCor or equivalent? A good coffee shop? Quick food for the little girl? Maybe a charming childrens' clothing or toy shop? How far, really, is the walk to the Parc de la Ciutadella and is there a frequent bus?

Please help me get over mourning the Gran de Gracia ;)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

no charm in eixample dreta? are you kidding? you will be actually much closer to la pedrera than to glories shopping mall, and just about 10 minutes walking to your loved (me too) gracia, just a few blocks.

pin your address is google maps and use the little orange man to see how these streets actually look like!

eixample is where real people live, so there is full of small places to eat, markets and small shops.

it would be about 30 min hike to la ciutadella park, can't help about buses.

no idea if there is any opencor, i don't care about these... but the very nice 'mercat de la concepcio' is just one block from metro girona.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

We stayed in Hotel Havana on Gran Via and Carrer Bruc and there was a nice local supermarket called Mercadona right next to Girona metro with the prices of at least 50% less than in Opencor.

Calle del Consejo de Ciento 366, 08009 Barcelona, Spain is its address.

Also, there are some small local joints/tapas bars right in that area and it was perfectly safe to walk any time of the day/night

Edited: 05 January 2010, 15:44
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

Hey, Gracia is Gracia , OK , Arago is one of the big avenues , but at the end , you know, Eixample Dreta it's where Sagrada Familia is ...

! good point to use Google images or Street View, in case it escaped your previous visits

apart of places mentioned by gatamaula and by travelukr

you can find opencor.es/opencor/cargarAplicacionCentro.do…

Art Nouveau bakery and Granja just at Girona metro stop ,

local shops and parks

hmmm ... fast food.. pizza? 'frankfurt' ? slow or normal ;) food too

a

Edited: 05 January 2010, 16:29
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

I stayed in an apartment on Carrer de Valencia in L'Eixample and couldn't have loved the neighborhood more. Nice and quiet at night, safe, nothing modern about it. Short walk to La Segrada Familia and Passeig de Gracia. L'Eixample is probably the best neighborhood in the city to stay in.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

Thanks, everyone. The reason I was asking about Opencor is that they're open weird hours and when we're staying in Barcelona, we tend to need things open weird hours.

These are great help. Anything you can recommend for small children within walking distance?

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

hi,

just for kids, you can find the Sofia Barat Gardens (inside a block of buildings) in Girona street number 77 or the Torre de les Aigues (also inside a block) in Roger de lluria 58 street, and in passeig de Sant joan , over de Diagonal there are games for children in the street (tobbogans, etc)

7. Re: Get Me Psyched for the Eixample Dreta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:20