We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for apartment

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Best location for apartment

Hello,

My family of six will be saying in barcelon this March and I have found two choices for aparments. Both apartments look excellent, but my concern is convenience vs. noise. One apartment on the Plaza Catalunya. The other is a 5 minute walk to the Sagrada Familia and they say it is quiet.

Since we will in Barcelona for only three days, we want to take advantage of every minute we are awake. But, we want to be able sleep at night,

grateful for any suggestions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,054 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for apartment

Check FAQ "Where to stay" top right of page.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for apartment

in order to truly assess the question it would be useful to know more about where these apartments are situated. There are very few apartments literally on Pl. Catalunya so the question becomes where it actually is. (presumably they mean in the general area which can be subject to considerable interpretation.) if noise is the issue, it also becomes relevant if it is on the front of the building. Similarly, the area of Sagrada Familia can refer to a wide swath. Being several blocks beyond SF could be somewhat inconvenient though in general this area is quite convenient and well served by metro. without more info, i would say both are good locations for convenience though some would say Pl Catalunya is more convenient. On the other hand, I would much prefer to be closer to SF than very close to SF>

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for apartment

NYP:

On the other hand, I would much prefer to be closer to SF than very close to SF>

do you mean you'd rather be closer to SF than very close to PC? I am confused....

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for apartment

Thank you for all ou repsonses.

Plaza Catalanya can be seen from the apartments I am considering, but they are not right in front. I think a more general question is whether there are any parts of the city that tend to be extremely noisy? I have read some review of hotels and such where this has been a complaint.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for apartment

I agree in general with NYPM,

much depends on the determined apartment - front/back , which floor , what kind of windows, walls , neighbours etc ...

I'd say that it is difficult to spot places free of traffic noise -

may be pedestrian streets in Old Town , but there is people noise instead,

may be some alleys where only residents can drive ?

perhaps get as much info as possible from the owner / agency

for approximate evaluation

A ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location for apartment

oops, yes, bethtanya, I meant pc in the last instance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location for apartment

travelmom,

I would say that parts of el Born have a well deserved reputation as noisy late at night on account of "people noise" because of the concentration of bars in the area. at the same time there are very quiet parts of Born. Anywhere from which you can see Pl Catalunya is going to potentially have noise not only from people but also because the area has traffic including being the fulcrum of the night bus routes. Beyond these generalizations, of course, there can be noise even in unexpected areas. One club can create late night noise on one block as partyers come and go but the very next block can be extremely quiet. This is true in any city and it is why I think it is important to know very specifically where you are looking to give you a meaningful answer.

scotland
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location for apartment

I too am taking my4 kids aged 7-11 to Barcelona in April and can't decide where to stay. I have been to Barcelona 3 times already but with a bunch of women and once with husband. I can't decidewhether to go for an apartment in l'eixample and risk noise for convienience or head nearer the beach and just use the metro in the hope it will be quieter.

Would love to know what you decide and how you get on. How old are your kids btw?

9. Re: Best location for apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 05:16