We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

Hi TA Friends! We are planning a trip to Barcelona this July and have put together this itinerary. We are a mother and 11 yo child: foodies, art-lovers and water-lovers. Does it sound to you like we'll love Barcelona?! I think so! We don't speak Spanish but I am fuent in French and English. I can read some Spanish. We would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions re: our itinerary. Thanks!

Day 1: Best Western Hotel 54, Barceloneta

Lunch at beachside cafe: Can Majo

Go to beach

Nap at hotel / swim

Tapas for dinner: El Nou Ramonet / La Bombeta / El Vaso de Oro

Day 2

Teleferic Port Vell from Torre Saint Sebastia (on the same street as the hotel)

to Montjuic and the Fondacio Joan Miro

Teleferic back to Barceloneta

Lunch: Restaurant 7 Portes

Barcelona Aquarium or Picasso Museum

Nap at hotel / Swim

Walk on beach

Day 3

Check-out and move inland to Hotel Barcelona Catedral

ARCHITECTURE DAY?

Casa Batlo

Casa Amatler

Casa LLeo Morera

Casa Mila (La Pedrera)

Mies van der Rohe pavillion

Lunch at Restaurant Coure

Afternoon nap / Swim

Dinner: Tapas

Day4

Breakfast at LA BOSQUEIRA market and buy stuff for picnic

PARC GUELL & SAGRADA FAMILIA DAY?

Take No. 24 bus to back entrance of Parc Guell by 10 am and walk downhill through the park

From Parc Guell, what's the best way to get to La Sagrada Familia?

Take Metro L2 from M: Sagrada Familia - Passeig de Gracia

Dinner: Tapas 24

Day5

MONTSERRAT half-day trip

Lunch: Cafe de l'Academia or Taller de Tapas

BARRI GOTIC & CIUTAT VELLA DAY? Santa Maria del Mar and Barcelona Catedral

Dinner: Commerc24

Day6

LAS RAMBLAS & LA BOSQUERIA MARKET

Eat at Pinotxo

Shopping:

Museum time:

Day 7: free day

Day 8: Adios, Barcelona!

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

consensus here seems to be that half day gives montserrat short shrift,

comment that may reflect my personal style, perhaps not yours: planning so tightly, even down to each restaurant for every meal does not leave any room for the surprises, discoveries that make travel fun...imho

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

You forgot the Palau de la Musica, which for me is the most beautiful building in Barcelona. Read the article in Things to Do for getting your tickets ahead of time.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

ouch! i full agree with #1. planning every second looks like business, not holiday to me! ;-)

i would suggest you to eat lunch wherever you are at lunch time, any 'menu del dia' you fancy. don't be so strict. besides, in my opinion none of the restaurants on your list deserves going there on purpose if you happen to be in another area of town! you may book some nice places for dinner, but better leave the lunch times "open" and you will save time and stress

plan your days around areas, it makes not much sense an "architecture day" all around the city when sure you have been close to some of these buildings before (i.e. mies pavillion is on montjuic). it makes more sense to see if after fund miro (walk or take the bus down) and take the metro back to the city centre instead of the cable car. you may have a look at caixafoum in from of the mies pav.

definitely for montserrat half a day is not enough, at least have lunch there (a picnic up the mountains will be my option), but a full day is much better

in the other hand, a full day for park guell and sagrada familia is too much, you can add other things there.

the aquarium is, well, a aquarium. there are so many things unique to barcelona better to invest your time imho. the picasso museum is ok, it's 5 min walking to santa maria del mar, and maybe 15 min from la seu cathedral, so it makes more sense doing these 3 together. gothic/el born/ribera area deserves half a day, include the palau de la musica.

happy travels!

Edited: 12 February 2010, 11:53
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

Thanks everyone for your comments. Will definitely put aside more time for Montserrat and look into visiting the Palau de la Musica.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

Hi,

re:"From Parc Guell, what's the best way to get to La Sagrada Familia?"

I don't know the best ;) you can check the options via the route planner

www.tmb.cat/vullanar/en_US/vullanar.jsp

mentioned elsewhere by L. ->

there is also bus 92 , slower but without changes , takes you to between SF and Hospital Sant Pau - a buildings' complex also worth having a look

http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/img/detallmapa.gif

tmb.cat/en_US/…

(will the links work?)

Another one is Magic Fountain

Mind also you may read sth in Catalan (don't get confused :)

Adeu :)

6. Re: Barcelona itinerary - suggestions/comments please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:18