We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Barcelona

Hi, am going to Barcelona at beginning of May for 6 days which includes going to the grand prix. We are staying at the Travelodge, L'Hopitalet. We are thinking of buying a 5 day travelcard. Does the travelcard cover the area where the hotel is as we understand it is not that close to the centre?

Also we are going to have a lot less spending money that we anticipated so has anyone any tips especially on eating out? We are both vegetarian by the way.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

Hi k9luka!

There are very many cheap and affordable bars and restaurants in Barcelona offering great food and i would suggest you could eat well of practically any menu.

I find it difficult to know what 'vegetarians' will eat, you all have slightly different interpretations and i quote the example of a vegetarian student friend who got a steakhouse here in edinburgh listed on their recommended restaurants list as they had a good number of vegetarian dishes on their menu. Further, howard the chef was more than happy to discuss preparing other dishes for vegetarians as specials, as he felt it was all about going out and enjoying your meal, whatever you wanted.

Tapas bars and pintxo bars also have a lot of vegetarian dishes many of which you can view displayed on their counter, am thinking of the salad greq at bar del pi off the Ramblas, the tastiest feta cheese, ripe red tomatoes and olives i have ever tasted. (but do you eat cheese!?)

i think like most visitors to Barcelona, you will find plenty good food at fair prices whaever you choose.

The time out eating and drinking barcelona guide will keep you right, they also list vegetarian restaurants with all the others by area and include maps. Carnivores should also go vegetarian in barcelona, they dont know what theyre missing out on!

Enjoy the grand prix!

BON PROFIT!

Chris

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

As I assume you know, this location is in an industrial park and you will take a bus to get to the center from there. I also assume you know it is not ideal and that you have eliminated all other alternatives because of cost. (If not, I suggest it as this is not going to maximize your experince. Have you considered an apartment as an alternative? An apartment also will save you because you can buy some food at the market and not pay for every meal at a restaurant. Also, this will help for vegetarians.)

I do not recommend the 5 day travel card as you will likely never use it enough to justify it. The break-even point is 30 uses over 5 days which is 6 per day. You are certainly not going to make 2 round trips to the center every day from this hotel and it is unlikely that even if you did you would take more than 1-2 rides on any day. You will reduce your cost with a T-10 card. Both cards are within the area of your hotel.

For vegetarian restaurants visit www.sincarne.net. Most restaurants are not going to have vegetarian options.

essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

Thanks for your replies. We have already booked the Travelodge. We were looking at an apartment (we normally stay in apartments because we can then cook for ourselves and just prefer apartments to hotels) but the Travelodge was so cheap we decided to go for it.

We don't eat any meat or fish but do eat cheese so hopefully will not struggle too much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

I just realized my reply might have been confusing. the sincarne website has lots of places that are vegetarian. What I was trying to say beyond that is that other restaurants are not as likely to have specific veg options as they generally do in the US as an example. Still it is quite possible to find preparations of vegetables in places that are not thinking about vegetarians that still have no meat or fish, such as steamed (al vapor), or grilled (a la graella, a la planxa/plancha or a la brasa) veggies. Cheese is of course abundant.

Edited: 11 April 2010, 15:58
Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

In trying to eat reasonably and vegetarian in Barcelona I would focus on buying fresh fruit and cheese in markets and less on restaurants. sometimes even vegetable dishes are prepared with some meat in restaurants, more easily avoided if one speaks Spanish.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: 6 days in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 07:15