We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

Hi,

Looking for good advice regarding a trip to Barcelona (we know nothing at all about this city, so sorry for any silly questions).

My daughter (18) wants to spend a few days in Barcelona (August 9-13th approx). We live in Canada but she'll be arriving from Venice as we have family there. She wants to stay in a youth hostel (budget reasons of course) but I'm a bit nervous due to total lack of knowledge about hostels. As a solo 18 yr old girl, could someone advise if this is reasonably safe? recommend one (or not!!) and how would youth hostel compare to a b&b? Would it be safe to go out alone at night? (She's very independent and speaks good Spanish-but that doesn't reassure me she'll be safe....I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks a lot!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

to start, I think your daughter will be safe as long as she acts reasonably

(if she is independent in Canada and speaks Spanish that.s a plus)

I imagine in hostEls it is easier to find rooms with many beds,

B&B (hostAL ?) being less multi-personal ...

but I cannot compare nor recommend.

I hope more forumers will come to share thier experience

A:)

Edited: 11 April 2010, 01:39
Pittsburgh, PA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

In early April I stayed at a very nice B & B called The Patio. It is in the Eixample neighborhood and very convenient either for walking or taking the metro. The price was excellent for a tourist city such as Barcelona and breakfast was quite nice. What made it really great was the owner, Liz, who provided all kinds of tourist information and was helpful all around. You can contact her at elizabethallan@terra.com

Barbara

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

Hi, when I was in Girona in January, I used Equity Point Hostel. It was clean and warm, the staff were young and friendly and also keen to offer information about their city.

There were lockers in every bedroom, some dorms were en suite but even the communal showers were spotless and well stocked with soap etc.

They have 3 hostels in barcelona and if they are anything like the Girona one, they are worth considering.

equity-point.com/en/hostels-barcelona.html

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

I think she should have that experience, in BCN is safe to do it,

"RamCat" is a very nice hostal in Barcelona, it was perfect, one street from the Ramblas, and 3 minutes from Plaza Catalunya !! the heart of Barcelona, that was great because you can do most of the visits walking and get a good idea of what this city is all about. It was very cheap also (we paid around 15-20 euros per person)

you dont have to worry about your daughter since all the rooms are private, you can álso get a room with private bathroom, it is very trendy and fashion decoration, I even think it is better than a hotel because you have shared kitchen and internet. Everything is extremly clean. Staff is very nice and helpfull for giving tips about BCN.

the link for the hostal apartments is www.ramcat.es

Hope you enjoy Barcelona from the heart

5. Re: Newbie-need advice on hostels/b&b in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 08:00