We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

OK, our trip was going well before we saw someone's camera being stolen three days ago and then we yelled and they got their camera back - well an hour ago, our camera was stolen - unfortunately no one saw it to let us know - this beautiful city is TARNISHED by petty criminals who ruin what a great city could be - I have traveled throughout Asia and India and Central America and much of Europe and I have to say by far, you can't ever trust this place - I will never return - when you have to lock down everything, even when it's attached to you, because there are relentless, spineless crooks running around without a conscience, it takes the enjoyment out of a vacation - which I have too little time to even take to have such an unfortunate experience --- EVERYONE, carry everything in front and lock it down, tie it to your clothes, make it hard to get at - we had a brief moment where I know that we briefly relaxed and did not pay attention and that is when it was gone!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Ottowasan,

I am really sorry to read about your bad experience in Barcelona. When you think of this magnificent city of over 1 million citizens, a handfull by comparison take this city down and give it a reputation it does not deserve.

Can i ask you a favour, go onto www.bcn.cat and get onto the Mayor of Barcelona's page, there you can email Jordi Hereu rhe mayor directly, tell him about your experience, and ask him what he can do to improve the safety of everyone in Barcelona. Political persuasion is the ony way to get the forces of law and order to act for the best and for us all. You will be helping so many other fellow travellers in the future by doing this.

We are a travel forum, sadly we all spend too much time and energy telling others about crime in this cty.

It is time we ALL channelled our energies into seeking change for the better.

I would urge every TA member to do the same.

If you are about to go to Barcelona, and have concerns, write an email to the Mayor and ask him to assure you that you will be quite safe when in his city.

If you have been to Barcelona recently and suffered from crime, tell him, ask him to make sure it ca never happen again.

If you feel angry and upset reading Ottawasan's terrible experience, then write to the Mayor and tell him how you feel. He is the one that can make changes, and if we just grumble and mutter to ourselves on this forum, we are hardly going to change anything, so why not all get emailing!?

I have already emailed and voiced my concerns at the number of crimes and scams we have regularly reported on TA, and asked him or a member of his staff to read some of them, and act upon them. I got a decent reply back telling me that the Mossos d'Esquadra and the Guardia Urbana (national and local police forces) are currently in joint operations to reduce the level of crime. Clearly it is not enough.

JFK once said

''there are those who see things as they are and say why? And there are those who see things as they could be and say WHY NOT!!''

so please, fellow trip advisor members, can we all send an email to Jordi Hereu and show our concerns, ask for some action? What have we got to lose!?

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Sorry your trip was not a good one, but don't blame the city, most of the bad guys are gipsys from another country. I got pick-pocked in Rome last year, but was my fault all the way. So l guess according to you Italy sucks too. We are not in heaven yet, so there will be problems. You just have to be as smart as you can, and there will not be a problem. Sorry

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Chris, You have a great talent in writting, keep it up. Thanks Hubie

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
528 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Sorry just on here to look up my messages. But why is it YOUR fault you got something pinched in Rome? If I saw someones wallet hanging out their back pocket it would never cross my mind to take it, I'd tell them they were about to drop it! I think it's time everyone made a stand and admitted that some people are criminals and most people aren't. Just because Barcelona has a reputation for petty crime doesn't mean it's OK. It's not your fault that some people think they can nick stuff. It's them and they should get the book thrown at them.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Ottawasan, I am sorry to read of your experience in Barcelona, I have been there several times without mishap. In fact I've lived in Spain for 16 years and visited many towns and cities and have had my wallet stolen only once........in my home town supermarket but that doesn't make the town a bad place (in fact it's as close to perfect as I need).

Unfortunate events can and do happen anywhere because "low-lifes" exist, it is not Barcelona's fault, it is human nature.

Chris -a great reply, probably the best I've read for some time.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 23:19
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

I hear you, but if it was around my neck like it should of been, this never would of happened. I like you have been all over the world, l should not of been ready,that was my fault. Yes most of us would tell people if they were ready to lose something, but not this time l guess. Thanks for the comment. Hubie

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Crimes/scams happen in any city that attracts lots of tourists! Sad but true!

I nearly got pickpocketed in London even though I wasn't there as a tourist and certainly did not look like one. You have to keep your wits about you in any city. I don't think London is bad!

Two women tried to mug me near Placa Reial in BCN last year. One grabbed my arm whilst her friend would've emptied my pockets. They wouldn't have got much as I don't carry much on my person! Plus, I was shouting as loud as I could to scare them off!

As long as your sensible and don't invite yourselves to pickpockets, you will have no problems!

Only time I felt I got mugged in BCN was as a restaurant which charged loads for substandard food and service which was my own fault for eating there in the first place.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

Well, i cant do links. Unless theyre sausages.

Can someone put a link on this posting to connect straight to the mayor's page so we can all email him? We dont have to be angry at him, support him in his job and ask him to bring about improvements.

www.bcn.cat

then to change page to english click on the top right then when you get on the mayor's web page click on contact and write him an email!!!

I am writing a reply to my last email on thursday, and i shall ask him to read OttowaSan's posting. Thankfully it wasnt violent, the camera can be replaced, but what a rotten experience to endure and to lose your precious holiday memories, and for what? For some lowlife to earn but a few euros selling the stolen goods on. Yuk foo.

Get emailing everyone!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

I can understand your anger and frustration because I, too, was almost in that situation but in Paris on the metro where lots of the pickpocketing occurs. I visited Barcelona recently, and perhaps I was not in the same locations or out during the same times as you, but wherever I walked I did not find it to have more theft than other urban cities I've visited. Even at home which is the SF Bay Area, a much touristic destination, locals get robbed and mugged. Before visitng Barcelona (and this is true for other destinations as well) I read up on the various guidebooks as to the safety issues. I also took a look at the existing sticky on this forum about crime. They all do mention to guard one's personal belongings well. The crooks get away with things due to opportunity.

Edited: 14 April 2010, 04:58
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona has THIEVES everywhere

I know this isn't the case for everyone but, often I wonder how you even MANAGE to have things stolen. Granted I know Barcelona well, have friends there and come from a city where you have to be equally streetwise BUT I have never had anything close to a problem in Barcelona.

DONT walk around with cameras on show, DON'T wave your wallet around and ALWAYS have your wits around you and, 9 times out of 10, you'll be absolutely fine. Thieves want an easy target, why would they bother with the effort of a challenge if they can obtain money easier?