We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

Delta, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

We will be staying close to Santa Maria del Mar. What restaurants or tapas bars would you recommend in the area that won't strain our budget?

Also, if we will have one splurge night, which restaurant do you recommend we go to? Budget, around 100 euros per person.

Thank you in advance,

Chiqui

Barcelona
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

Hi,

there are several nice Tapas Bars in EL Borne. If you go to Passeig del Born you will find lots of nice restaurants on each side of the street. But I would recommend to go to El Xampanyet, it is a nice Tapas Bar with good food and delicious and cheap Spanish cava.

El Xampanyet

C/ Montcada, 22, 08003 Barcelona

Enjoy your stay!

Oh Andrew

(Oh Barcelona)

Barcelona
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

Hi,

I recommend a great tapas bar, which is called Sagardi Gotic (C/ Argenteria, 8). The food is delicious and the prices are affordable.

Enjoy!

Iga

Lifestyle Barcelona

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

if you like fondu.... Gades Fondues, c/ esparteria 10

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

The Basque place across from Santa Maria church, Cal Pep is right down the street. Lonja de Tapas is good for the budget. Go to Inopia and splurge, it's run by the world's best chef''s brother, kind of gourmet tapas or I should say small portions. Also, right across from the Picasso museum is an old palace that is turned into a bar only open at night, I think there is a cover charge or something but it's really cool, very quiet and otherworldly, a beautiful space. Read Maribelsguides for more food places. Oh and have a breakfast at the Boqueria at Pinotxo or Quim.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

I keep reading GREAT things about Cafe Delfin, especially their rice dishes.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

For our 'nicer' dinners over in that area we ate at Pla and the restaurant side of Sargadi.

Pla was slightly more expensive, and we spent 129 Euros total for 2 people, but we only had one bottle of wine in the 30 Euro range, so you could easily get closer to the higher end of your budget with more (or more expensive) wine.

See my notes on both on my TR that is floating around on this forum- near the end :)

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

The good news is you are in an excellent area for restaurants/tapas bars and have no need to get in a cab to get to anywhere!

FOr a splurge I would go to Restaurante Carballeira, which is on C/ REina Christina, 3. This is behind Set Portes on a small street and is Barcelona´s oldest Galician restaurant. it is packed full of charm and the seafood is delicious. It´s definitely old-style, not trendy, and not frequented by tourists as it´s not on their radar. However, it´s a classy place. Reserve a table in the bar area.

For tapas I´d reccomend Xampanyet again for the old style charm. They mainly serve canned seafood which is considered a great delicacy in Spain plus a sparkling wine. It´s very busy, but fun and has been there forever.

I would follow this with a trip to the bar at Taller de Tapas on the c/ Argenteria (not to be confused with the later copy that is Lonja de Tapas) . Again, this is always busy and the bar is a great place for people watching. They have all the classic tapas dishes (at the bar you can see them being prepared in the kitchen) and usually have very good daily specials.

CAsa Delfin, on the PAseo del Born, 36 is a must. The rice and fish are spectacular and the staff very friendly. The terrace is a beautiful spot and it has Pitin BAr next door for the best mojitos in the Born!

8. Re: Places to eat in Born/Ribera area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:18