We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Euros

Any problem getting Euros from an ATM?

Also, does anyone know which credit cards have low transaction fees?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros

If you do a search for ATM in this forum, you'll find some good info in older threads on this subject.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros

You shouldn't have any problems using an ATM, but you need to notify your bank before you head out.

Which credit card has the lowest fees is irrelevant. It all depends on which cards you have and your agreement with your bank. Otherwise you can check one of the many credit card rating services if you think it's worth your time.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros

Hi

no problem using major credit cards at atms, obviously check with your card company first. Machines speak english. Banks will also give cash advances against credit cards.

My debit card only allows me to withdraw €300 maximum daily so sometimes i need to use my card in shops if i go mental buying things. For most cc or dc transactions you will be asked for photo id which can be a passport (not so good to carry that around) or like a driving licence. Restaurants dont on the whole ask for id

As there are plenty on here from the usa, they can tell you what the best cards are for rates and usage.

Enjoy your trip!

Chris

Barcelona
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros

I'd recommend getting a travel money card.

They are the best way in my opinion as you can put as much or as little as you want on it at a time, normally with just a simple online transfer from your bank. That means you don't have to take your own credit card with you everywhere you go, and have the security that you can go online, deactivate the card and have another one sent within a couple of days.

When I went to the USA I used Caxton FX which was pretty good. In Europe I used a Travelex cash passport.

Both charge for you to take Euro's out of an ATM, but it's free to pay for stuff with it anyway.

Hope this helps you

OHCharlotte

Oh-Barcelona

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros

I'm afraid there is some bad advice floating around above, some of which may relate to banking differences in different countries. For anyone coming from the US, here is a list of bank charges for debit and credit cards:

flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/A…

As you can see, it does indeed matter very much what bank and card you use. If you want to spend extra money, the difference can pay for a very nice splurge while you are on your trip rather than simply enriching a bank.

Also, a travel money card under whatever name it operates will invariably cost significantly more than using atm and credit cards. Travelex in particular is likely to cost you a net of an extra 8-9% over a good credit or debit card from the US.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros

There are transaction fees and then there are currency transaction fees on charged items. Capital One cards charge no conversion fees.

NYC
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros

I have been using my Charles Schwab debit card to get money abroad and never have had a problem, either in South America or in Europe. And I have never paid fees for the ATM usage. The link to wikipedia about cards states that Schwab "often fails to automatically reimburse overseas ATM-owner fees". I guess I have been lucky and have never experienced a problem with them.

I have a standard card that allows me to withdraw up to$500 daily

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,018 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros

We used our WuMu debit card and paid 33$ per 200 we got back. This is the same Co. we got our euros from before the trip. I guess l should of asked them what the rates would be from overseas, my mishap. Good luck

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,279 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euros

Do ATMs in Spain require 4-digit pins (like they do in France)? If yes, make sure you have changed your pin to a 4-digit.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euros

Yes PIN numbers in Europe in general are 4-digit ones.

Banks fees when using cards abroad vary a lot so you need to check with your own bank.

I know that there is an international grouping so that eg Bank of America customers can use Barclays and Deutsche Bank ATMs here with no transaction fee. However there will still be a currency-exchange charge. Some info here (from Scotiabank website but info is on the global alliance)http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID8040_LIDen,00.html

Our own bank here now allows withdrawals of up to 600€ a day but I know the UK limit is still 300GBP; so you'd have to check with your bank what their daily withdrawal limit is.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 08:21