We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

Hi everyone,

I will be in Barcelona for 4 days and we really wanted to visit a Jewish Quarter. Would you recommend going to Girona for that as the Barcelona quarter seems a bit limited?

Thanks as always

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

Girona, definitely, although you will pretty much see what's left in Barna as it is in the middle of other stuff.

Edited: 29 April 2010, 17:03
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

Hola Smoke!

Girona is far far better if you want to look at old stone walls and old closes and a museum dedicated to the subject. I did the walking round bit and thats good but museums of that type subject dont do it for me so cant tell you what it was like. Give me art or ancient history any day! Also you can kiss a lion's bottom eat chocolate flies and walk the old city walls. Then theres a good few restaurants.

Bon viatge!

Chris

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

This four day stay is a precursor to a 12 day cruise. I figured the only other Jewish Quarter that we will see is in Venice.

Does anyone know how Girona's quarter ranks with that of Rome's or Venice's?

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

How did you know I would like to kiss a lion's bottom! That just happens to be a hobby of mine!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

And its not even the real lion! when i climbed the pole, an old lady stood and laughed at me. Its like canaletes fountain on the Rambles, its to bring you good luck on travels and ensure you return to Girona. I fly into girona airyport, never returned to the beautiful city yet though.

Dont forget to eat some chocolate flies! the local saint had a hand in the original flies chasing away some invaders.

Its a beautiful city and well worth a good day or more to explore

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,573 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

The Venice ghetto is really interesting!! The word "ghetto" comes from there.There are 2 secret synagogues that you can only get to see on the inexpensive walking tour run by the Jewish Museum there. You don't have to book the tour ahead , just show up .,They go on a regular schedule which you can find by Googling the Jewish Museum site.

There really is no Jewish quarter to speak of in Barcelona, Nothing much to see. We had Girona on our list but didn't make it there in 4 days. Too much to do IN Barcelona.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

The Venice ghetto likes to call itself the oldest Jewish ghetto in the world, a description that only makes sense based on the fact the word originated with it. The Jewish call in Girona (and those elsewhere in Spain) actually had its last Jewish inhabitant in 1492, when Jews were expelled from Spain. The Venice ghetto STARTED in the 1500s, so they are really quite different places. I also think Girona is more interesting because it was "lost" for almost 5 centuries and thus exists now in a remarkable state of preservation.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,573 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

OK nyplaymaker I can see your point but I don't think the Girona call was a ghetto in 1492. I believe folks could move around at will.

The "ghetto" in Venice was a place for Jews and there were rules about leaving at night etc. There was a bridge to cross to get out.

Anyway, it is quite interesting and I am sure Girona is interesting too.

The 4 synagogues(2 secret ones) in Venice are also interesting to visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

I didn't mean to diminish the wonderful Venice ghetto. I just always find it funny how people feel the need to be the best, first, top of whatever they are. I don't know or recall the extent movement in Girona was formally restricted but what I do remember is that the violence against jews caused them to retreat into the Call and that all but one entry to the call were bricked over. What's interesting to me is that these jewish enclaves represented entirely different periods, the one in Girona dating from the 800s until the 1400s and the one in Venice starting in the following century, so together they limn an especially long period with lots of history about the evolving rituals and so on. And that's the perspective of this very Irish if not quite so Catholic (both sides) boy.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,310 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewish Quarter: Barcelona versus Girona

The Jewish quarters in Catalonia are called "Call" and in both Girona and Barcelona there are now interpretation centres and I think possibility of walking tours: barcelonaturisme.com/ECV2TBCN/Front/BCNShop/… http://www.girona.cat/call/eng/index.php

However these are both part of the cities' history whereas Rome's ghetto area is completely different because it still has an active Jewish community with synagogue, kosher restaurants etc, it's not just a part of history.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 07:56