We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa de Marcelo

emilytravels
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Casa de Marcelo

Hi all,

I am wondering if there are too many red flags on this hostal or if I am just being paranoid. La Casa de Marcelo is currently number 9 on the BB list for hotels. However all the reviews are from people who have just joined TA except for one persons. I know the Hostal just opened in April so I am not suprised the reviews themselves are recent - my concern is that all the reviewers have just joined TA.

When I contacted the owner about possibly staying he told me he takes a wire transfer for 50% of the cost up front. Is this common practice in Barcelona?

I feel like I am just being paranoid, but I thought I'd check. Would you stay there?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa de Marcelo

It looks quite beautiful on the web site. The rules of payment are quite clearly explained on the web site as well!! 1-Half up front,2 -the rest in CASH on arrival and 3- IF you cancel your deposit is lost!!

I would only book a place like that if it was the week before my trip, not far in advance.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa de Marcelo

I had the exact same concern. Almost all of the reviews were written the day of the "member since" date. Let me know what you decide.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa de Marcelo

I would not believe reviews written in that circumstance. See if you can find it on Venere where reviewers actually had to stay there.

nottingham
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa de Marcelo

I'm also thinking of booking a room here. I've contacted the owner who says there's one room available which after reading this forum post is making me concerned whether being pushed a booking. I love the look of it and if the posts are to be believed would love to stay there.

Was just wondering if you made a decision about it, or if anyone else has any thoughts?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa de Marcelo

It looks quite lovely if you want a real guesthouse experience. It appears that the bathrooms are shared. Since it is truly someone's home I suppose their rules about deposits being NON refundable are understandable but I probably would not stay there unless it was a last minute booking.

I don't like to give away my money. It does not seem to be on Venere but it is quite new and that could be the reason it is not there.

emilytravels
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa de Marcelo

He told me the same thing about one room being available. I did email some of the TA members who posted on him and had been around longer than a day (members from 2008 and before only) and their feed back was positive and I felt they were being honest, one mentioned the outside looks a little worn, but the inside is excellent.

I am guessing, he tries to fill the most expensive rooms first, but no fault in trying to make the most money I guess. I think we are going to go ahead a risk it after speaking to the other members and see what happens. We'll be staying at the end of the month so I guess I'll see then.

I'll let you know what happens.

Provence-Alpes-Cote...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa de Marcelo

Hi everybody.

I am Olivier Caizergues, Marcelo's business partner at Casa de Marcelo Barcelona.

I understand your concerns and would like to explain why we have so many reviews of people who write it the very same day they open an account on Trip Advisor.

We have many Guests coming from "Le Guide du Routard", a french guide, or from friends of friends, or from Facebook or from, we don't know where from!

So our policy is to send an e-mail to every Guest after his stay, to ask him to write a review, if he feels like, on Trip Advisor.

Since they do not necessarily found Casa de Marcelo Barcelona on TA, those who are motivated enough to write a review open an account and write it at once.

We actually also ask them to write a review on our google map location (if you write "casa de marcelo barcelona" on google maps, you´ll find out we have 11 reviews).

So, that is the reason why.

I hope I gave some answers to your questions.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa de Marcelo

Asking people to do that may backfire as TA regulars are generally suspicious of one time posters, but thanks for explaining.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa de Marcelo

Olivier, Trip Advisor has many posters who own or work in specific hotels.

IF you stay on here and answer questions withOUT always telling people about your B&B then we will be more likely to follow your advice or accept your comments.

Venere.com also asks folks to post reviews after they stay in each hotel so it is a good idea. We are always a bit suspicious of reviews that are from people who don't do other things on Trip Advisor and that is why some of us wondered about the reviews about you .

Provence-Alpes-Cote...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa de Marcelo

I understand and I thank you very much for taking time to answer back and to give us some good advice.

You know, we´re brand new at doing this and we´re just trying to do the best we can.

Anything you would like to know, I´ll be very happy to answer.

Thank you very much again for bringing up that conversation and for your friendly answers.

Warm regards,

Olivier.