We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair tools in Europe

wernersville, pa
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hair tools in Europe

Even when using a current converter I have not had much luck with using electric hair tools such as curling irons or dryers in Europe. Phone and camera chargers work just fine with a converter but not hairdryers. I have even tried plugging into the same outlet the hotel hair dryer is plugged into but no luck. I also use a plug adapter. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair tools in Europe

My suggestion is to take a vacation from worrying about your hair!

New York
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair tools in Europe

I did some research on this issue before going to Spain. You cannot use regular American hairdryers or flat irons or curling irons in Europe even with converters. Power converters are not rated for the wattage these hair tools use. Your camera and phone chargers will probably work with just an adapter - no converter needed - because they are designed to work with both currents - look at the plugs and you will see 'Input 100-240V, 50-60 Hz'. Your computer chargers are probably also rated this way.

You can however buy dual voltage hair styling units. I believe they sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond. You will still need an adapter.

And for the record, after researching this because I thought my daughter would want to bring her flat iron to Barcelona - she told me she didn't care. We used the hotel's hair dryer and that was it.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
ezs
Manalapan, NJ
Level Contributor
305 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair tools in Europe

I bought a dual voltage travel hairdryer and flatiron for my daughter from folica dot com. They had a wide variety of choices and I think I spent about 30.00 for each. They worked perfectly during our trip to Portugal, and I know they will get used again and again when she does a semester abroad.

Have a great trip,

Eve

Mentioned in this post
Hartford...
Level Contributor
128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair tools in Europe

Thanks for this info. i too always have issues with my hair dryer. Think I'll just hope the hotels dryers are decent (In Italy they were sometimes just a long hose that blew cool air) and will try B&B for a dual voltage curling iron.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
5. Re: Hair tools in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 06:17