We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Hi,

3 days in Barca (2 for my wife).

Is there any printable map that has the main attractions on it?

So it's easy to look at and see what's where?

Cheers,

Patrick.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,425 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Patrick:

I bought "Artwise Barcelona" at Amazon. It is a foldable plasticized map that will not break and you can see all the attractions on it.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Barca is a small town inland Spain... not sure it's worth it 3 days...

ah, Barcelona??

Barça is used only for the football team. Believe or not, not all inhabitants of Barcelona are fans of that particular team... so not all are happy to hear the whole city called that way ;-)

(sorry, this is my pet-peeve)

Regarding maps/routes, the transport authority website has interesting itineraries, focused in history/art periods (Roman, Medieval, Modernisme...): tmb.cat/en_US/…rutesinteres.jsp

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Hi

here is a map of Barca showing its attraction

fcbarcelona.cat/web/…planol_camp_nou.html

Sorry couldn't resist, just a (not very good) joke, Barca only refers to the football team, the city is Barna or BCN

I'm sure the Barcelona Tourist offices will supply maps, at their info points

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/

The following would not be particularly useful as a map when you get there, but will give you an overview of where things are it is the map of the routes of the Bus Touristic which shows virtually all of the attraction locations on a single page

barcelonabusturistic.cat/c/…

EDIT. Ah! Like the old days Belsaita posting at the same time, just took me longer because I prepared Tinyurls in case the originals didn't work

Edited: 17 June 2010, 11:07
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Hola Patrick!

I have tried five different (bought) maps of Barcelona, the best for me is the Rough Guide Barcelona Map.. It is foldable waterproof has many hotels shops restaurants bars and visitor attractions marked plus the metro stations bus routes and -most importantly- it has a large scale map of the city centre which is important unless you want to spend a lot of time getting lost to see what you can find.

A great wee guide book jam packed full of photos of Barcelona is the Visual Guide to the Bus Turistic Route of Barcelona €5.85 and available from newsstands, bookshops etc in Barna, check out www.triangle.cat for more info. Its a great souvenir and a great way of finding where everything is plus discovering what you didnt know about and where to find that too.

Dont worry about the Barça thing, the whole world gets it wrong, i have to call Barna Barça or noone would know what i am on about. It cant be helped having the world's greatest football team called Barça. But when anyone calls Catalunya 'catalonia', ask do they mean the tiny village on Costa Brava or the magnificent friendly country we all love to visit.

Visca Barça! Soc culé! Bon viatge!

Chris

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

"the whole world gets it wrong".... does not make it right!

Well, call the city as you want. You can be seen as someone who cares about how people speaks here, or you can choice to be perceived by local ears as "yet another clueless tourist willing to sound cool but confusing words again" ... even probably everyone will be too polite to say it to you (or just do not care, why to fight something all "cool-wannabe" tourists insist to say?)

I was told similar mistakes about cities I've been, and I appreciated it, so I try to do the same here. Your choice Chris. I'm just surprised as you being a frequent visitor to this city and you obviously loving it, you do not care about this.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

Hola Belsaita,

thanks for allowing me a choice. And me 'more catholic than the pope' sorry i could NEVER be a catholic so the pope has it easy.

i ALWAYS refer to Catalunya and NEVER to spain or catalonia. Members of my Scottish Parliament, tv newsreaders, radio presenters et al are corrected on this, as a means of recognising a small vibrant friendly country with a great and unique language and culture.

My problem is I have never heard another Scot (and there are 5million so heres a hope a few can say Barna) call Barcelona 'Barna'. Because of the greatest football team on the planet being affectionately called 'Barcelona' or 'Barça', it is an easy mistake to call the city 'Barça'. I correct when i think it important, if anyone is going to visit Barna i insist they get it right, but sorry i havent got all day to correct little mistakes, it is clearly understood what they mean and thats fine. I would rather talk all day about the great city of Barcelona and persuade very many more people to visit, than correct them all the time.

Further, if anyone comes on this forum and asks a question like 'do i go to Barcelona or Paris' then you will NEVER read me saying anything other than visit Barcelona. Whats the point of promoting another city on the Barcelona forum?

As for correcting 'Barca', well you are fortunate to have a european / spanish version keyboard on your computer. I connect with my mobile phone which is switched to 'french' language so i can 'ç' when required, but english keyboards will want you to dig deep into 'special symbols' or in the case of the library computer i sometimes use, i cannot find the 'ç' and opt for a 'c' as it is understood as Barça in the context i am writing. It cannot be helped. Perhaps the 'ç' is hiding along the top row near the € symbol? Je ne sais pas.

I would suggest we have a FAQ on language use in Barcelona as suggested by Bennymalaga where we can refer to these matters and educate ourselves.

If Barca is a small village in spain, then is it not also true that catalonia is a small village on the Costa Brava!? To me, that sounds like a whole new topic for debate.

Other than by mistake, i will always use the Catalan, and never confuse fellow TA members with street names in spanish when all my maps (and presumably theirs) plus the street signs have them in Catalan, and the Ramblas is the Rambles. All this is MY choice, moltes gracies!

Chris

(wearing pro-Catalan t-shirt to work)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

catalonia is a town in the costa brava? really? never heard of it and actually it sounds weird to be a catalan name

chris i see you point but i'm with belsaita on this one. the fact that everyone confuses the terms does not make a bad usage good. and we know you do not have the ç in your keyboards, is not a question of the ç, we understand you mean barça when you write barca, but still for us locals this is *not* our city. when we point the error is just because we try that people know this and do not keep confusing a (fabulous) soccer team with a city where not everybody is culé.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelon…

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

I for one really appreciate corrections of this sort; when I briefly lived in San Francisco it drove me wild when people referred to it as Frisco,

Re maps : streetwise Barcelona also has its fans.

10. Re: Good map of Barca with tourist attractions on map?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:17