We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

HI,

2 full days in Barca, staying at hotel Pulitzer.

I like to wander around to find places off the beaten track that others have recommended. However my wife prefers not to waste holiday time searching for somewhere (that we mighn't find in the end).

So any recommendation for cafes, restaurants, bars and tapas nearby Hotel Pulitzer please?

Thanks,

Patrick.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

Hi,

You are just in the very centre of Barcelona, so there are PLENTY of places to dine..Could you maybe specify what type of restaurant do you like? And a price range...?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

True.

I suppose-

1. Tapas bar. somewhere with nice character & athmosphere

2. Restaurant (any type of food) for romantic meal at evening. Budget €100 max,but if less good (not includind drinks).

3. Cafe to sit outdoors and relax, people watch. (and ideally not be ripped off).

4. Pub. Nearby hotel and any place else. Authentic Spanish place

5. anywhere (not just near Hotel) that's special (either stunning view or some novelty that makes it great).

thanks,

Patrick.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

Your hotel is lcoated next to Barri Gotic, the central area of the city, where you can find many nice places and Passeig de Gracia - there are fancy, elegant restaurants.

In the area of Barri Gotic I recommend you some traditioanl catalan restaurant where you can try Spanish dishes: (please check them on the googlemaps) They are a bit further from your hotel but not more than 10 min walking distance. I give you some of my favourite restaurants:

El Setial - C/ Hostal d'en Sol, 6 -

El Pintor - C/ St.Honorat 7

And for tapas bar (El Born):

Sagardi Tapas c/Argenteria 8

For cafe and "churros con chocolate" - very Spanish dessert - you could go to the top floor of Corte Ingles, which just on the left side when you walk out from your hotel. You have a very nice view over Barcelona from there. It is the whole restaurant, not only cafeteria, so you might find this place good also for a lunch.

Enjoy your stay!

Iga

Lifestyle Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

My two (or three) censt regarding your wishes:

1. Tapas bar. somewhere with nice character & athmosphere

Search the forum for Barcelona+Tapas. You will find these are not typical from the area. So, mainly chains and touristy spots. This does not mean they can't be nice. Sagardi is pretty good, but it's a chain of Basque pintxos, nothing in it's food or in its decoration is typical from Barcelona/Catalunya.

I rarely go for tapas in the city centre as it's usually the best way to pay more for eating less, except if going to very basic places like Bar Flassaders in carrer Flassaders (El Born) = cheap, good, but no atmosphere (or atmosphere from a real basic, not fancy, Spanish bar)

2. Restaurant (any type of food) for romantic meal at evening. Budget €100 max,but if less good (not includind drinks).

Can't help on this

3. Cafe to sit outdoors and relax, people watch. (and ideally not be ripped off).

You will find a zillion of them on the way. Avoid Las Ramblas, better head to Rambla de Catalunya

4. Pub. Nearby hotel and any place else. Authentic Spanish place

There is not such a thing of an authentic Spanish "pub". You can find many authentic places (read this as places frequented by locals) in Carrer de Joaquim Costa. I like Lletraferit (when it's not too smoke), Granja de Gavà, It-Café... You will find a mix of tourists and locals, but still worth it, in the oldest bar in town and another old one (never remember which one is older): Bar Marsella and Bar Almirall. You can try absinthe in these 2 and feel like the tortured artist ;-)

5. anywhere (not just near Hotel) that's special (either stunning view or some novelty that makes it great).

Head to Carrer de Petritxol (dubbed as "chocolate street") and, besides admiring the cartoon-tiles decorating the street, have a "xocolata amb melindros" in La Pallaresa or another "granja". This is hot, thick chocolate with typical soft cookies. If you want a mountain of whipped cream on top of your chocolate, ask for a "suis". Of course you can have "churros" here too, but these are not that typical from Barcelona (after living in Madrid, I yet have to find a place serving decent churros in Barcelona, I guess I got spoiled)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

Hola Patrick!

The thing about your hotel choice is there are sooooo many possibilities for finding great places either by hopping on a metro a stop or two, or walking no more than 5-10mins.

The suggestions above me are all good, but i would not return to Sagardi, its the sloppiest service i have ever experienced. Thats 3 times they let themselves down.

Click on my profile and look up 'breakfast in barcelona' which was created for suzywillow who was to have been staying round the corner from you in hotell jazz, but our nice volcano friend who has become so quiet as of late prevented her from going for breakfast and more. Theres a good few cafes and bars and granjas listed which you might like.

Later i shall add to the suggestions with a few more near to you.

Bon profit!

Chris

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

Thanks for the replies.

I know there's a million cafes/restaurants nearby but my concern (like in any big city) is that places right on the tourist strip are low quality, high price places with no character etc.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

To expand on Belsaita's post:

Rambla Catalunya is a street going up from Placa Catalunya. I don't say north because those directions do not apply to the map of Barcelona.

It is a lovely wide pedestrian street with lots of outdoor tables from the restaurants and cafes . You can stroll up the street and stop anywhere for a snack,drink, dessert, meal etc.

Some of the tables belong to Taller de Tapas which was the restaurant in Woody Allen's -Vicky Cristina Barcelona. There are also tables for the small chocolate/pastry shop Forn de Sant Jaume. There are many others along the street. It is a nice place to stroll and stop. We stayed nearby last year and stopped somewhere every evening or in the afternoon for a drink,snack etc.Something I found interesting is that you can get alcohol at a pastry/chocolate shop to go with your coffee/tea.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

I loved Cerveceria Catalana

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d7…

very busy at night but you can get a drink while waiting, maybe a place at the ‘bar’/tapas bar while waiting. In the day you can get straight in there. Lovely food. It’s just off the Rambla Catalunya.

I ate there three times in three days!

9. Re: Cafes/restaurants etc near Hotel Pulitzer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 05:16