We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

I just finished 5 days with my family in Barcelona. I personally approached Barcelona with great apprehension based on all the stories in this forum and others. Plus, both my sister and niece had their purses stolen (on separate trips) in the last couple of years in Barcelona.

But we had no problems. Here are some of the things I did to ensure a safe trip, and one with peace of mind:

1. Use a money belt, or (men) stick your wallet in your front pants pocket (this worked for me).

2. Get a back-pack or purse that both zips and locks, like those sold by Pac-Safe. I got a back pack and my wife bought a nice 'evening bag'. In addition to the many security features of these bags, the bag straps can be clipped onto 'immovable' things like chairs and tables, so they don't wander off at the restaurant table.

3. Read and familiarize yourself with all the pick-pocket scams. Then, just be aware of what's going on around you. My wife and I were deep in the Raval one day when a young man started following us. Nothing too obvious to the casual tourist, but my antenna was up. I turned around at glared at him several times, as if to say "I've got your number". He finally smiled at me and moved on. I watched him stroll to the next female tourist, where he scanned her purse, decided it was too much of a challenge, and then he moved on again.

4. Barcelona, by the way, was fabulous. We went on to Venice, Florence and Rome afterwards and wish we had spent more time in Spain.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

Thanks for this. It's nice to hear all went well for you.

barcelona
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

Hi, good tips. Good to hear you had a great (and safe) time in Barcelona. Thanks for taking time and trouble to post your news.

Regards.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

Thanks for writing. Your tip no.3 is especially important. I like the description of you looking the possible pickpocket straight in the eye to show you knew what he was thinking!!

4. Re: Security in Barcelona - My happy experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 06:18