We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

we are two friends travelling from Barca to Santiago de comp in mid July. We are renting a car for the journey. Neither of us has driven on the continent before. Does any one know about the price of petrol in Spain and how much motorway tolls cost?. Any additional tips for driving in Spain , we are used to driving on the left hand side.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

Viamichelin gives total cost of trips including tolls and gas, so is a great resource.

barcelona
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

Hi, I've done this trip by car and in the middle of July.

ViaMichelin.com, as the previous poster said, is a very useful resource for planning times, costs for fuel and tolls (it will even give you routes to avoid charges).

My only practical tips are

a) load up with lots of water for the journey. (I mean lots)

b) take a spare set of good quality driving sunglasses (this is experience talking) - I sat on my only pair during a stop-off - the glare - especially when in the centre of the country is incredibly - and tiringly - intense. And, strangely it wasn't easy to just drop off and buy another pair. You'll spend many long hours cruising through deserted mesetas.

c) Keep a flannel, or hand towel, or neckerchief in a plastic bag with water - in easy reach - every now and then you'll need these to refresh your face - or wrap the flannel or neckerchief around your neck by way of keeping cool - even if the car does have A/C - it's the glare from an often naked sun that causes discomfort.

d) Set off early - say an hour before the sun rises - you'll avoid a lot of traffic on the outskirts of BCN, and the timing will mean you'll hit a good spot for lunch - and feel like you've covered some miles.

Have a great time. It's a fantastic - if sometimes a little arduous - journey. (In fact, I'm a little envious - wish I could go with you!). Lots and lots to see, great little out of the way stop-offs for lunch or a snack. ¡Buen viaje! Regards.

ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

ola! Thanks so much for the helpful advice

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

Petrol prices will vary a bit…because of local taxes etc.

http://geoportal.mityc.es/hidrocarburos/eess/

The usual advice is do not drive too long, take plenty of breaks and keep to the speed limits.

The Spanish tend to drive fast and cat times close to the rear of your car.

This link is written by an American for Americans so some things you can ignore (like having an IDP)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

5. Re: road trip from Barcelona to Santiago de Comp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:17