We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

miami beach, fl
Level Contributor
231 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Spain. I have never been. i am a little worried because I am in love with Italy. I hope I will enjoy Spain just as much.

I am thinking of doing 1 week in Barcelona and 1 week somewhere else either in Spain or maybe France? I want to be able to take a train from Barcelona to my next destination. I was thinking perhaps San Sebastian or maybe Marseille or Bordeaux. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should go for my second week?

Questions...I always rent an apartment when I travel to Europe. I have used homeaway.com Are there any other recommended websites for apartments in Barcelona? Also what area should I stay in?

A little about me - I am a foodie, not into nightclubs but love nice wine bars or lounges. I can do museums but not all day. I really enjoy seeing a city like a local. Are there day trips that I should do from Barcelona?

I know there are beaches in Barcelona but not sure I should waste time with that being I spend a lot of time in the Caribbean, so I am spoiled having been to the most gorgeous beaches.

Looking forward to your replies.

Wendy

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

If you are a foodie go to San Sebastian for sure.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

Hola Wendy!

You will love the food and wine of Catalunya every bit as much!

Apartments, best to start looking for areas to stay then see whats available and to your liking. gracia could give you a living beside locals feel, Born district i have noticed a lot of fellow foodies taking apartments.

Wine bars? Dont miss www.barzimbcn.com and its sister cheese shop next door www.formatgerialaseu.com but as you will find, there are soooo many great food places all over barcelona or just a short trip on a metro that you will be spoilt for choice.

Then of course a visit to that temple to food, the Boqueria Market!

Beaches compared to caribbean are not quite in the same league. Day trips? Motnserrat is the favoured one. Other destinations for second week? Perhaps Paris And Bordeaux for wine? But theres plenty to see and do in Catalunya without even venturing into spain. San Sebastian would be another grat place to go.

Take a look at a good guide book, take a look at the FAQs to give you an idea of whats what and where in barcelona, and take a look down the forum as theres lots of good info in apartments both via questions and trip reports.

And be sure to ask us any more questions and we will do our best to help.

Bon viatge!

Chris

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

I think you will enjoy Barcelona.

Try to stay in the El Born district, in an apartment if possible, since you will be there a week. This will not only save you money, but also place you more with the locals.

El Born is a beautiful old area, five minutes from the Barri Gottico, which, while it has many charms, has areas which have succumbed to loud masses of tourists and many really horrible gift shops. It is sort of the best and worst of both worlds.

El Born feels very old world. You will quickly get the hang of the pedestrian streets, and enjoy the beauty of the Santa Maria del Mar Basilica. There are several really nice outdoor restaurants there that are frequented by the locals.

5 minutes walk away is the Jaume metro, which will take you anywhere you want to go.

I would highly recommend Park Guell, (but bring your own food, and take a cab there), La Palau Musica Catalan, Casa Battlo and of course, Sagrada Familia. Rambla is also a lot of fun.

Please try and see the free concert at the magic fountain in Montjuic. They begin at 7:30 each night in the summer.

I can't advise you on where to go next, except to note that there do appear to be ferries going from Barcelona to Corsica, one of my favorite places.

Have fun!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

Just a thought-

if Italy is the benchmark by which we have to compete with to ensure you ejoy barcelona every bit as much, can you sum up in a few words what really makes Italy soooooo good, then we can offer you like for like for barcelona. Am quite sure you will LOVE barcelona!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

I would spend one week in Barcelona and one week in the San Sebastian area.

You will love the food and beaches in the Basque country and with a week in San Sebastian you'd have time to visit some of the smaller fishing villages (Hondarribia, Getaria, or Lekeitio) and may even want to consider breaking the week up between San Sebastian and Bilbao (or at least a daytrip to Bilbao).

On a personal note, I can understand your love for Italy. I was also in love with Italy and had traveled there on 3 separate visits. That is until I decided to take a 2 week trip to Spain in 2001. I didn't know much about Spain and even wondered if there would be enough to keep me busy. I did some reading and decided there was enough for 2 weeks (but worried I'd miss Italy). As soon as the plane landed in Spain I forgot about Italy. I'll be returning in September for my 19th visit to Spain.....guess there was alot more to keep me busy than just 2 weeks!!!

Of course, everyone has their own personal views and preferences but I'd at least give Spain a visit and at the very least you'll learn more about Catalunya and the Basque Country, two very unique parts of Spain.

6. Re: Planning last minute trip to Barelona (first time)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 07:16