We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Hi, we only have about 1&1/2 day pre-cruise, would you buy

a 27 Euro ( l day) or I forgot how much 2 day Barcelona turisitic

card for the hop on-hop off bus, or use the regular bus.

How much is the regular bus anyway ? For the longest time,

I thought they were the same thing

Seems like the 1 day hop on, hop off bus entited you to same

small disount in some places , seems like l euro off, not much.

so I am trying to decide if I should purchase it

By the way, does anyone know if the hop on bus and regular

bus is air-conditioned ?

thanks

Spain
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

To be honest which is better for you depends on what you want to see in BCN

If you use the regular bus (ie public transport) then you'll probably want to buy a T10 which costs about €8 for 10 trips , can be used by more than one person and includes the metro system as well as busses and the tram.

If you want to see the sights of the Barri Gotic and other specific sites in the city then I think the T10 is the way to go (I'd recomend the metro rether than the bus). link to tmb site

http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/home.jsp

The hoho bus is open topped

Edited: 15 July 2010, 09:33
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Should you not have visited Barcelona before, and with the very limited time you have, the Busturistica is the best way to orientate yourself to the city and its many places of interest.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

I think the Bus Turistic is a good way to get the layout of the city and (maybe) to reach some distant sights/areas. However, it's expensive, it's slow, in busiest times you may have to wait for a long time (if the bus is full and you have to wait for another...). What I did on some cities was doing the full route leaving the bus only in 1 or 2 sights (or even none) to get the general idea, then visiting the sights on foot or by public transport.

The booklet of discounts can be well worth it, but in case you stay for a few days and you plan to visit many of the sites with discounts. When you have only 1 or 2 days you just do not have enough time to visit so many places.

So, basically the Bus Turistic being a good option or not depends on you (your traveling style, your budget, how many days do you have, which attractions you plan to visit... etc).

In case you plan to visit museums the Articket is another option to consider (7 museums for 22€)

Barcelona is very compact and if you stay in the centre you'll most likely walk to many sights. The Old Town (Ciutat Vella = Gotic, Raval, El Born, La Ribera) it's better seen on foot, as the narrow streets do not allow buses. There are interesting walking and bicycle tours to explore the maze of narrow streets and alleys.

The sights outside the city centre (Park Güell, museums and sights in Montjuic...) can be all reached by public transport (bus or metro may be better options depending on where you are and where you go).

Have a look at the public transport authority website, apart of details on prices etc it has a very useful route planer and tourist info and itineraries: http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/home.jsp

Have a nice trip!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

In some cities the hop on hop off bus is best because the public transit is not very good but Barcelona has a GREAT bus/metro system.

We just used the t-10 transit card. You can buy it at a machine in any metro station and it is good for 10 rides on bus/metro. It can be shared so if you are a couple then each person would get 5 rides.

IF you are walkers you can easily get to many sights just by walking IF you stay somewhere near Placa Catalunya which is kind of the city center.

Just want to add that many of the sights have senior discounts. Just ask for them.

Edited: 15 July 2010, 13:29
San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Thanks for all the insight

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Walking and taking transportation on your own is good if you have plenty of time to plan and research. If you don´t want to do that, the bus turistic is a very good option. Although pricey, it gives information on several sites that we hadn´t even considered visiting, as well as a general view of the city. To get to Park Guell is the best option, no doubt, and is convenient for Camp Nou as well. The other sites can be visited on foot or metro.

The wait to get on the bus is only if you want to ride on top. If you ride downstairs (w/ air conditioning), you don´t get very good views but there´s always available seats.

Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Would highly recommend the walking tour of the Bari Gothic offered by the Tourist Information center in Placa Catalunya. It was less than Euro 10 and went to a lot of places we would not have found on our own.

Which day of the week will you be in Barcelona? There are certain things to see on Sunday that aren't available during the week.

We enjoyed the hop-on hop-off bus which goes to all the major tourist sites.

Definitely get a seat on the upper deck where you can get the best view but take your water, sunscreen and a hat.

Since you are pre-cruise, the HOHO bus may be crowded with cruisers the morning before you sail so do this as soon as you arrive.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Hi, we are arriving Friday, and the cruise leaves Sunday at 5 pm, there

was mention of some things to do that are only open Sunday, can you

tell me what that is. Perhaps I can do it on Sunday before we board the

ship

thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

Hi, we are arriving Friday, and the cruise leaves Sunday at 5 pm, there

was mention of some things to do that are only open Sunday, can you

tell me what that is. Perhaps I can do it on Sunday before we board the

ship

thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does the hop on-hop off bus compare to regular bus

I'm not aware of anything that only opens on Sunday.

However, there are many places open of Sundays: most museums are open on Sunday morning (some in the afternoon as well), Park Guell, Sagrada Familia, Palau de la Musica... are open on Sundays too.