We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North East England
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which area?

My husband and I are planning a few days in Barcelona. We want to explore the whole city by day but in the evening would be happy with some nice bars and restaurants (maybe a bit more upmarket?) in a safe area (but not deathly quiet). I thought Eixample (how do you pronounce this?) would be good but on reading further it seems there isn't a lot there. I would really appreciate some help please. I have read the FAQ but it's a bit confusing!

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area?

Ay-shem-pla, I believe.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area?

Hi,

L'Eixample is a huge area, it is where the vast majority of people live. if you look at a map it is the area laid out in a grid pattern that wraps round the old city and villages such as Gracia. There are thousands of local bars, cafes, restaurants and many of the best restaurants are in it, most of the Gaudi masterpieces are in L'Eixample. It has the main shopping boulevard. it has local markets, bakers, grocers, etc and if you want to experience real Barcelona life this is where to stay.

Because it is so big it really depends which part you are looking at - the area around Plaça Catalunya, Passeig de Gracia, and Rambla de Catalunya is for many people the ideal place to stay

Hamme, Belgium
Level Contributor
45 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area?

Hi,

We are in BCN for the moment and we are staying in a very central location, the Gotic Quarter, (hotel catalonia catedral). This is quite convenient, Ramblas, Catalonia, Born, Ribera, Barceloneta, Raval...all close by, within walking distance. Two metro stations nearby as well (Jaume & Liceu), so the rest of the city is also easily accessible.

Having seen the huge crowds everyday on the Rambla, I'd give you the advise not to take an hotel there. If I go back, I’d consider the Ribera area as another option and when I was walking along the beach I saw the brand new W Barcelona hotel, which is a new landmark in the city. If you can afford it, this really looks terrific.

North East England
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area?

Thanks everyone. We had originally planned on Las Ramblas but now think it's not really our thing, so looks like it's Eixample here we come!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,213 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area?

Infomaniac if you read the trip report on the next page by gigis_mum you will find names of some great restaurants and many of them are located in the Eixample neighborhood.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area?

Infomaniac, here's a link to our trip report. We stayed in L'Eixample, ate all over town but predominantly in L'Eixample's upmarket restaurants. You may enjoy some of them. Our 2 favourites were Gresca and Alkimia.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k37775…

Edited: 26 July 2010, 02:03
North East England
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area?

That's brilliant-thanks so much. We just need to sort out where to stay now! Any recommendations? I'm considering the Murmuri, Amister and Villa Emilia. The Hesperia Presidente has a really good rating but it doesn't seem to be in a very good location?

8. Re: Which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 06:19