We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

Bruxelles
2 posts
Save Topic
Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

Hello!

I have rented the apartment in Barcelona which appears under no. 130974 on Homelidays at the beginning of May 2010. Below you have my experience described and the e-mail exchange between me and homelidays. Shortly, it has been a very bad experience and homelidays did not want to publish it. I consider that people are mislead by this company/website who only publishes the positive experiences.

Me:

I left this apartment one day after having entered it although I have rent it for one week. There were doing works next door and for the time I have stayed there they were drilling the walls. The street is sinister, the apartment is old, cold and wet and nothing around makes you feel you are on vacation. The furniture and the appliances are old, the dishes and the pans are greasy, the towels and the bedclothes smell like mold. Not to mention the noisy of the street and of the elevator next to the door. I had to move to a hotel: I have wasted 2 days of my vacation calling the owner and woman who was supposed to take care of the apartment, looking for a hotel (which was not easy due to Formula 1), packing and moving from this place to the hotel. I have wasted time, energy and money. I have still paid 120 Euro for one night. Of course, you can always try. When I have chosen this apart I have also considered the reviews of the other people who have stayed in. My expectations were a lot higher!

Homelidays:

Thank you for your email.

Before a testimonial is published, it must be validated by a member of the customer services team.

If an owner receives a negative testimonial, we firstly give him/her the right to respond. When we have received the response from the owner, we will either publish the testimonial along side the response, or we may decide not to publish the testimonial depending on the content.

If the testimonial has still not been published in a week's time, feel free to contact us again for more information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Me:

Thank you for your reply!I understand your point of view but let me explain mine. You will probably get from the owner of the apart the same answer I got: that he is sorry and that he actually lives in Madrid and that he did not know. But there was this woman there who was supposed to take care of the apartment. And, as a responsible owner renting an apartment for a considerable amount of money, he should have known everything that moves there. He told me that he knew that they are doing works there since 2 months ago but he did not know that the noise is so bad (I have called him around 6.30 in the evening to make him listen how I have started my vacation). And that woman dared to tell me that we go out anyway so there should not be any problem. Can you imagine? She was doing my schedule on my money!

Except for this, that apartment is really not appropriate for holidays. I don’t know if there is any way you can inspect it to see how it is like… I mean …old, noisy, depressing, cold and wet.

I do want my complaint be published as a moral compensation of my financial loss, the time and energy I have spent on this as a consequence of the failure of this owner in providing an apartment for holidays.

I would be surprised to be the first who is doing this kind of complaint regarding this apartment. I want the other people to be properly informed about what to expect there. I consider that I have been mislead by the 5 stars (*****). Maybe we should fix this somehow!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Homelidays:

Thank you for your email. We completely understand your frustration.

We will certainly keep a record of your comments.

We hope that this experience has not discouraged you from using the Homelidays website in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

Me:

What I understand from your e-mail is that you have no intention to make my comments published. But please be informed that I have no intention to give up and I will do all the necessary to prevent my experience from happening to other people.

I would suggest you take the example of other similar websites (booking.com) as it's the best way to make owners be more responsible of what they are renting out and improve the quality of the services.

You are asking me to keep using your website? How could I after such misleading? And the worse is that you continue doing it….

I hope I will have my comments published soon!

Homelidays:

Due to our administrative requirements and policy here at Homelidays, before we can publish your comments we are required to wait till the owner has been given the opportunity to respond. As the owner is listed with our Portuguese team here at Homelidays we are awaiting confirmation that this owner has submitted his own testimonial of the stay. Once this testimonial has been received we will be able to publish yours along with it. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Me:

Dear all,

It's 2 weeks since your latest e-mail and no news whatsoever or my comments published.

Maybe the idea is that this issue will settle by itself, I will forget about it and drop my action.

This is not going to happen! So, please let me know if you have any intention in satisfying my request or I should follow other paths to obtain it.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Homelidays:

The testimonial you have submitted has not been validated, but has been kept on file. If at any point the owner receives a second negative testimonial, we will be taking him offline immediately to protect future renters from the property. We thank you for your testimonial and also for your patience in this matter.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Euro Hotel Barcelona
Euro Hotel Barcelona
617 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

I had a similar experience. Homelidays is a joke!!!

My family recently returned from a stay in Fiumme Freddo Bruzzio, Italy where I rented a villa through Homelidays.com. Upon returning home, I wrote a testimnial about the property and my stay. I felt that my review of the property was fair and honest. I described both the pros and the cons (although mostly cons). The biggest issue and the one I felt was most important to alert future potential renters about was that this property was infested with bed bugs! There were ten of us and we all recieved multiple bites from these disgusting critters (2 of the kids had multiple bites on their faces). At first, we thought that they were mosquito bites because we had to leave the windows open at night ( no air conditioning --which is typical of the area). We alerted Homlidays to this issue through our testimonial and a few weeks later when I went to see see if the testimonial was listed and to my amazement... it was not! I contacted Homelidays.com and the emails lsited below were communicated back and forth regarding my testimonial. I highly recommend NOT USING the homeliday.com website for travel accomodations because everything listed on the website is biased on the behalf of the property owner. The website does not care about the renters well-being! Beware of the website!!!

MY RESPONSE:

Dear Homelidays,

I am writing to you in respone to a testimonial that I had written on a villa that I had rented in Italy in August 2010 (please see my dossier). I understand that you had to give the owner a chance to respond to the testimonial before you could validate and post my testimonial. I see that she has written a reponse to my testimonial and allthough we do not agree with each other I believe that the potential renters have to right to know what the property is really like. According to the owners respoonse she has been renting the property since 2006 and yet there is NOT ONE TESTIMONIAL listed on this property. I find that a little strange. I see that you do not want to post my testimonial and wonder if there have been other testimonials similar to mine that were never posted (which could have helped me when I was looking for a villa to rent). I request that you list both my testimonial and the owners response to the testimonial on your website. I would think that your company would want your renter to be informed about the type of property that they may be renting. Please, please, please consider posting the testimonial and the reponse by the owner. If you put yourself in my shoes, or the shoes of a potential renter, wouldn't you want to know this information prior to renting this property. I think that it is only fair to post the testimonial (and the owners response)!!!! Please let me know if your company is going to list the testimonial or not. Thank you for your time an consideration! If there are any questions that you may have regarding the rental, please contact me as I will be more that willing to give your all the details of the villa and rental period.

Sincerely

HOMELIDAYS RESPONSE:

Dear **********,

Thank you for your email. We fully understand your concerns.

Please be assured that this owner only has 2 stays registered for this property, and the other is still awaiting the testimonial of the renter.

In light of the owner’s right to reply, the relevant department reviewed the testimonial along with the owner’s response and decided, on this occasion, not to publish the testimonial on the site.

However, your comments will remain in the owner’s dossier for them to see and for our administrative purposes.

We take negative feedback very seriously, and will investigate if necessary should this owner receive further negative feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.

Kind regards,

www.homelidays.co.uk

MY RESPONSE:

Homelidays,

I have to let your company know that I am very disappointed in your services. It is quite clear that you are only looking out for the owners best interest since they are the ones who pay you! It is a shame that other potential renters will not be able to make an informed decision regarding this rental property. I hope that the renter (that you spoke of in your email) for this property will take the time to write a testimonial, but then again who knows if it will ever be posted!!! This is definitely a blemish on your record as well. You say that your company takes negative feedback very seriously, but yet out of all the testimonials that I have read on your website there is not one negative testimonial listed..... Is this a coincidence? Could all the properties listed on your site be absolutely perfect or does your company choose to not post negative feedback? I think I already know the answer to this question! It is absolutely shameful that your company is misleading their customers!!! In reviewing my testimonial, I do not feel that it is a terrible review. I pointed out the positives and the negatives and was 100% honest on both sides. These testimonials are used by the renters as a tool to help them distinguish which potential property is best suited for them. The renter has the right to know the good as well as the bad! Again, I strongly encourage your company to post both my testimonial and the response from the owner! As I do not agree with the owner's response, I feel that it is important for the renter to see both sides of the story. Seeing as your company is highly unlikely to ever post my testimonial, I would like to inform your company that I will NEVER use your services again and will warn as many people as I can regarding your unethical practices. I request that you inform me if your company does decide to post the testimonial.

Respectfully,

I hope this is as well as the 1st post is enough evidence as to why not to use the Homelidays.com website!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
2. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 20:56
Edited: 29 September 2010, 20:56
Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

The Homelidays testimonial service gives renters the opportunity to give marks from 0 to 5 (5 being the highest mark available) for Amenities, Accommodation, Surroundings and Global, and these must refer to the conformity of the advert in relation to the reality.

The comments made must also correspond to the marks given by the renter.

Each testimonial is verified and validated by a member of the Homelidays team before its publication in order to:

- avoid the publication of offensive comments about an owner or rental,

- to give the owner a right to reply,

- to filter fake testimonials.

We endeavour to provide excellent services to our customers and welcome all suggestions and feedback.

Kind regards,

Homelidays Team

Bruxelles
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

O, please, spare me these copy-paste e-mails. You limit the right and freedom of expression. People are not crazy to waste their time and write something bad if everything was ok. Just take a look to this website to see how many negative comments you've received. Don't you think you are taking a huge risk? The owners of the apartments we are renting are "no name" ... just a number. Everything comes back to you; you are the one blamed now. Thanks God there are websites like tripadvisor to warn people about your procedures...

All the best,

A former client

Budapest
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

Homelidays: active partner and pander in cheating the renters!

I’ve rented a studio for my husband and myself in Fuengirola/Malaga for 11 nights in September. The size of the studio was exactly the half of that described by the tenant on Homelidays (212000). It was 21 qm instead of 42 qm advertised (plus the balcony, which was a bit less than 2 qm). The studio was advertised for 2-3 persons, however the opened sofa bed was only 125 cm wide, absolutely not enough for 2 adults. Therefore we had to use the 160 cm long camp bed for the second person (I’m 170 cm tall, my husband is 180 cm), extremely inconvenient, thus no space remained in the room which was 10 qm. We were lucky enough that the weather was fine, thus we could stay on the small balcony when we were not away. And we’re also lucky that there was no 3rd person. I wrote a testimonial which wasn’t posted by Homelidays at all. I’ve written to them 7 times (!), first I received an answer that „The comments in your testimonial have been passed on to the relevant department, who is currently pursuing your comments with the owner”, afterwards: ” The testimonial is still being validated by the Customer Services team”, later on they simply didn’t react to my e-mails at all. My last attempt was that I asked them if they realized the fact that they had become pander in cheating the renters as they were fully aware of the incorrect information given by the owner as I’ve written to them several times but the false size of the studio is still on Homelidays website. I have booked a lot of apartments through different websites (VRBO, Homeaway, Holiday-rentals, airbnb, et., etc.) in the last 20 years and I never had such an awkward experience (even not on Homelidays!). It’s clear, that they don’t post negative testimonials as the renters don’t pay for them but doing so they don’t give any protection to the renters. When I rented a stuio in Amsterdam through Homelidays and I wrote a positive testimonial, it was posted immediateliy! The only thing I can do is that I’ll never rent through Homelidays again and I propose it to other travellers as well!

Mentioned in this post
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

It is a Homelidays policy to publish every testimonial that a renter submits on our site, whether it is positive or negative.

If a testimonial has been created but it is not visible online it will be due to one of the following reasons:

• The testimonial is still being validated by the Customer Services team (this can take between 2 - 7 working days)

• The testimonial has been considered as non-justified. A non-valid testimonial may contain an unjustified mark lower than 4/5, a personal message or insulting/degrading comments.

• The testimonial has not been validated following the right to reply from the owner.

• The owner has chosen to not use the Testimonial Service; however renter testimonials will remain in the owner's dossier.

You can view our Testimonial Service guide by visiting: homelidays.co.uk/EN-Holidays-Rental/310_Rent…

7. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 16:48
Edited: 17 February 2011, 16:48
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

UpsetBruxelles, I feel your pain. Getting ripped off from HOMELIDAYS is unacceptable. They are in the SERVICE business and the CUSTOMER is ALWAYS KING! Although, resoving any dispute requires getting off their position and focusing on finding a way to make you happy. I will never use HOMELIDAYS. Thank you for the heads up. Namaste.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

Homelidays state that they recommend you book accommodation with testimonials - which propety number 130974 does not seem to have.

We advertise with Homelidays and accept their Testimonial service - whether good or bad. Nowhere is perfect for everyone.

Of all the sites we advertise on, we get most bookings from Homelidays as people do trust the testimonials/reviews service. Few advertising sites have this facility.

May I add that I have absolutely no connection with Homelidays apart from successfully advertising on the site for several years.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad experience with Homelidays and the appart no.130974

Let's keep this thread alive....

HOMELIDAYS needs to be outed and pay restitution to our good frien in UpsetBruxells...