We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasible Trip Plan

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Feasible Trip Plan

For those that are experts I would greatly appreciate your valued opinion on this trip plan.

After checking into our hotel near Paral.lel around 1.30pm, walk to the Columbus Monument. From there walk down Rambla Del Mar to Maremagnum. We hope to find somewhere here to eat lunch (suggestions appreciated) From there down Moll D'Espanya to Santa Maria Del Mar. Then onto Sagrada Familia.

From there take the Metro L2 back to Paral.lel.

Some questions please...

Any coffee stops on the route that can recomended?

Besides stopping at the various points, what would be the aproximate distance of the journey?

Any "tourist" sites that are close to the above mentioned ones that you would advise to include in this plan?

We have another 2 & 1/2 days to plan yet.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 12:52
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

HI Lara,

I am not an expert but have planned 2 itineraries for Barcelona so far.

I like to group activities geographically so I am not going from one end of the city to the other on the same day(if possible)

With that in mind, I'd stay in the old part of the city on your first day. There is a lot more to see there than just Santa Maria del Mar!!

I don't know your interests so cannot plan a detailed visit for you but you are skipping: Picasso Museum, Cathedral, Palau de la Musica Catalan,Museu de la Ciutat, --to name a few.

I don't know where you are staying exactly on Paral.lel but there's also

Sant Pau del Camp and the metro up to the castle on Montjuic nearby.

So I guess I would leave Sagrada Familia to another day when you could get there early and then see some of the other Gaudi buildings in the Eixample part of the city on another day.

Lastly, I wouldn't go to a shopping mall( Maremagnum) to look for restaurants. I don't have my restaurant list in front of me now so perhaps others will join in with their ideas.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

My thoughts:

- After checking into our hotel near Paral.lel around 1.30pm, walk to the Columbus Monument. From there walk down Rambla Del Mar to Maremagnum. We hope to find somewhere here to eat lunch (suggestions appreciated)

OK. But I would just have a quick view to Rambla Del Mar / Maremagnum (modern area and a bit of tourist trap). Keep walking to Barceloneta. You will be spoiled by choice of restaurants around Palau de Mar ad Passeig Joan de Borbó. When in that area, we usually just check the "menus del dia" outside and choose the one we fancy more so I can't really recommend any specific.

- From there down Moll D'Espanya to Santa Maria Del Mar.

You must explore the narrow streets of El Born. Yo will find too many nice places to stop for a coffee to write them down here. Just stop where you fancy most. The Picasso Museum is near Santa Maria del Mar. As well the Chocolate Museum and the Textil Museum. This last one has a wonderful patio with a small restaurant-cafe. The Convent dels Angels (next to the Chocolate Museum) is now a cultural center with a lovely cafe in the old cloister, worth to have a look especially at night when lights are on.

The Ciutadella Park is near there too.

Check the sinful pastries at Hoffmann and Bubó.

The are is plenty of great small shops, restaurants, cafes and clubs.

So, I would leave the Sagrada Familia (that's in a totally different area) for another day, better have dinner and then a drink around El Born as you're already there (and when you realize it, after checking some shops and cafes, it will already be dinner time!)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Hi riffsmom, again writing at the same time! Full agree :-)

How I could forget Palau de la Musica!! BTW, attending a concert there could be a grand finale for the day...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Thanks for the valued input so far...

I know that there are many many sights that we have missed but as I mentioned we have another 2 & 1/2 days to get those, and hopefully some other things checked off the "must see list".

If anyone would "like" to help me plan our days I would be forever grateful.

I know this depends on what our interests are so if I pop some/ most down this may assist.

We are no "spring chickens" but are able to walk a good distance, as long as we can intersperse that with a coffee, and churro/pastry to recharge our batteries.

Here is our list of sites we hope to accomplish in the time frame from 1.30pm Thurs 24th to Sunday noon 26th. (in NO particular order)

As we viewed many of Picasso's works when they came downunder we have decided not to go to the museum. While I AM a chocoholic, I will forgo the Chocolate museum to enable us to see other "non caloric" sights.

Sagrada Familia (just outside view)

Sant Pau del Camp (this is just around the corner from our hotel so will just be able to nip around)

Columbus Monument (up to the top, unless not recommended)

The marina & beach area around Maremagnum

The Palau & the marina & beach area around Barcelonetta

Poble Espanyol

Ciutadella Park

Casa Mila (inside)

Casa Batlló (inside)

Plaza de Catalunya

The Palau Musica

Park Güell

Walk down La Rambla

Montjuïc

Tibidabo (not the fun park)

Barrio Gotico area (the church with the roman ruins esp)

The Boqueria market (name ??)

So...sure to have missed something very special in all that. It seems alot, but as some of the places are in close proximity, we will be able to group them as you advise. No doubt just wandering in some areas will give us an even better picture than having every step planned...it's just that I am a "control freak" and feel much more at ease if I have a plan. If we choose to "break" from that plan that's fine, but do like to have a basis for the days we have so as not to "waste" any valuable time there. It is not likely that we will be back in that part of the world for many years so want the memories and pictures to tide us thru.

Thanks again for being there to assist a fellow traveler....I hope I could return the favour if you ever come downunder.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Lara, that's an ambitious list for your short stay in Barcelona. We were there for more than a week and we didn't even see everything on your list ;-) Of course, we dedicated a whole morning to the Sagrada Familia, went up both towers, enjoyed the exhibit and spent extra time in both the children's school built for workers of the Sagrada Familia and the gift shop! Perhaps you're the kind of traveler who is satisfied with skimming just the surface and checking off a "To Do" list. In that case, I'm sure you'll find a way to see everything in 2 1/2 days. However you do it, you will enjoy Barcelona!

Our trip report (very long, sorry) is linked below. We started out by figuring out what we wanted to see, then marking them on a map to group things together. Finally, we checked hours of operation etc. and eliminated some things that just didn't fit. We did our best to choose things that we thought were distinctive of Barcelona or that interested us specifically (like flamenco).

Some comments on your choices:

- Columbus Monument: the elevator was broken the day we went. We spent 10 minutes looking at all the panels around the monument that depict the story of Columbus and reading the notes that I had prepared on the panels. 2 more min. in the tiny gift store. Took a few pictures and we were done. I can't imagine anyone spending more time than that. Some people might just drive by and look at it.

- Maremagnum: IMHO this is not worth your time, nor is the Barcelona aquarium next to it.

- Santa Maria del Mar is very beautiful. From there you could walk to Barri Gotic and the Barcelona Cathedral. Some good tapas/pintxo bars around there: Sagardi, Euskal Etxea.

-Poble Espanyol: okay if you are interested in examples of Spanish architecture. suggest that you save it for early evening viewing in combination with flamenco show at La Tablao de Carmen. This is considered a touristy combination but convenient and enjoyable, especially if you haven't seen much flamenco.

-Placa de Catalunya: it's a big roundabout. You will probably go through the area anyway. No need to make a special trip.

-San Pau del Camp: I recall they close for several hrs in the afternoon. Although it's close to your hotel, it's really a minor landmark compared to the likes of Casa Batllo, Casa Mila (La Pedrera), Park Guell, La Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Cathedral etc. This church is the place you could see from only the outside. Save your time for La Sagrada Familia.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k37775…

Quimet i Quimet is a great montaditos bar near your hotel.

Edited: 20 August 2010, 04:26
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Another "non spring chicken" here!

I don't know if your first day is after a long flight or if you've arrived from somewhere else in Europe? Also your last 1/2 day morning activity may depend on where you need to be next??

The only way to see the inside of the Palau de la Musica Catalan is by booking a tour or by buying tix to a performance. It can be done on line before you arrive or you can go there on your first day and book one for perhaps 10AM on the Sunday morning if you like.

Other than that, I'd stay close to the beach and the old part of the city on your first day.

Then go up to the Eixample for the Gaudi buildings on your full Friday.

Parc Guell can be reached from the Eixample by taking the no.24 bus on Passeig de Gracia which leaves you right at the entrance.

IF you read Gigis_mum's report you'll find names of some great restaurants that you might book for lunch in the Eixample if you like.

The Boqueria IS the name of that market.

On the Saturday see the things you missed that you want to see the most.

I hope you have a great visit!! So much to see and so little time!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Thank you one and all, your input has been enlightening.

I know we have a big "to see" list and will not achieve all of them...might be the best excuse ever to return, although it won't be for a few years!

We arrive on Renfe from Madrid on Thursday noon so will not be effected by jet lag hopefully, having arrived in Madrid from Australia via Dubai the day before.

Trying to make better use of the metro system to allow more time to see the sights, I have worked out a 2 day plan, both full days, and keeping in mind that Friday some things, like the market, will not be open as the Merc Festival will be happening.

Sunday morning we will do the Monjuic area as we are close by.

Pls pick these plans apart as I'm sure I have missed something VERY important.

FRIDAY................

- Take Metro L2 from Paral.lel to Sagrada Familia Metro

- Walk to SF and spend time viewing externally, aprox 1hr

- Take Sagrada Familia M L5 to Diagonal

- Walk down Passeig De Gracia to Casa Mila, tour, aprox 1hr

- Keep walking along P De G to Casa Batlo, tour aprox 1hr

- " " " " to view Amatiler & Lleo Morera

- Walk to Catalunya Metro

- Take M L7 to Tibidabo Blue Tram stop

- Take Blue Tram to Funicular

- Funicular to Church of Sacred Heart & Views, tour aprox 1 hr

- Retrace journey back to Catalunya Metro & take L3 back to Paral.lel

SATURDAY..............

- From Paral.lel walk along Nou de La Rambla to La Rambla

- Palau Guell, tour aprox 1hr

- Cross La Rambla to Placa Reial, tour aprox 30 min

- Return back to La Rambla

- Grand Teatre De Opera Licea, tour aprox 30 min (??)

- Joan Miro mosaic footpath

- Continue up La Rambla

- La Boqueria, tour aprox 1 &1/2 hrs

- Back to La Rambla past flower & bird sellers etc

- Stop at Font De Canaletes (maybe we will return sooner if we have a drink, LOL!)

- Placa De Catalunya, aprox 30 min

- Metro Pl Catalunya take M L1 to Arc de Triomf and walk to Parc del la Ciutadella

OR

- Take M L 3 to Lesseps and walk to Parc Guell

- Return to Para.lel whenever we are ready

Advice appreciated on which would be preferable (hard ask I know, sorry!)

Too ambitious?? Missing other things?? Incorrect connections??

We will factor in food and drink stops along the journey, and will stop as required or the whim takes us.

Pls be picky, that's what I'm asking for! We Aussies are made of tough stuff!

Thanks again!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

On your second day it looks you are planning a lot of time just around Las Ramblas. I would just walk them (30-40 minutes total) and check La Boqueria (difficult to spend there more than 30-40 minutes unless you have lunch there). I would skip the Liceu theater tour unless you are very interested in opera houses, is not that special. The Palau de la Musica Catalana is really unique (and UNESCO World Heritage site), the Liceu is just yet another opera hall.

Other thoughts: Palau Guell is currently closed for renovations, and it looks it will be for a while. You can only see the hall now.

Plaça Reial is just a square. Nice to sit down in a terrace, but nothing to 'tour' there.

Same about Plaça De Catalunya, can't see how you can spend there aprox 30 min unless you sit in a cafe (and in this case I would sit down elsewhere, Pl. de Catalunya is not the nicest place to rest with all the traffic)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Great info, thanks Belsaita.

Just what I was hoping you seasoned travellers/locals may be able to provide.

Cutting down time in those places you mentioned will give us a chance to focus on other places.

Did you have any thoughts on whether to visit Parc del la Ciutadella or Parc Guell?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feasible Trip Plan

Parc de la Ciutadella is a nice park but nothing so special, Park Güell is unique.

(note its Park Güell, instead of Parc, as it was supposed to be an "English style" suburb)