We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kerry, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel. From the outside, it really does look like a beautiful restaurant. The minute we went inside, it just went downhill from there. The service was terrible - we ordered a bottle of red wine, and it was freezing cold. We politely asked for another bottle, as normally, it would be served at room temperature. The waitress stormed off, and called the supervisor who came to us, and rudely told us that this was the way it was served, and that was that. The food was absolutely revolting. 4 of us received our starters, while the 5th person who didn't order a starter received her main course at the same time. It was slapped up to us with a bare grunt and we have never encountered such rudeness. We ordered the canarian potatoes with spicy sausage as a starter, and this came covered in greasy mayonnaise squirted all over it. Another person ordered the chicken croquettes, and they looked quite suspicious indeed. The main courses were not much better. In the end, we found all of this very amusing. We also noticed that the people at the next table received the same treatment as ourselves and actually walked out. I just wanted people to be aware of this review, as there are so many other beautiful restaurants in that area, and not to waste your money or time on this one! We did inform the hotel of our terrible meal and service.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,813 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Wow!! Sounds like you had a terrible meal!

I have read your other reviews so I know you have been using Trip Advisor for a while. I am sorry you have not used these forums before so we could have helped you choose your restaurants for your visit.

Could you tell us anything else about your trip?

I hope that you had other meals and other experiences that we could all read about!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Not commenting on the restaurant as never ever heard of it, BUT it is also quite common for a group who have ordered starters to get a main course for the non starter person at the same time.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

One important reminder - so called "room temperature" for red wine is 10-18 degrees Celsius, depending on the wine. 10 degrees compared to temperature outside may feel like "freezing cold".

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,813 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

I was just reminded that during our trip we had a bottle of red wine that was brought to the table cold too! When we asked about it we were told it was local custom to have inexpensive young wine that way. This was not wine we had chosen but it was on a tour where the lunch was included in the price sooo I would imagine this particular wine was quite inexpensive!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Sorry too that you had such a dreadful experience in a town with such fantastic food. Is the spelling correct or is it "La Dolca Herminia"? If it is, maybe things have changed in the last few years because I just searched and a TA Barcelona Destination Expert recommended it.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k643757…

I for one will NOT be rushing to eat here! Thanks for sharing your comments.

Edited: 06 October 2010, 00:53
Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

riffsmom, it's not even local custom. Young red wine has to be served at significantly lower temperature, otherwise you simply wouldn't drink it.

Some people forgot that so called "room temperature" refers to room in old châteaux in Vallée de la Loire, not to the tapas bar in Catalunya.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Regarding the wine 2 possibilities here.

Either you ordered "house wine", which it is often served fridge-cold (this is normally not great quality wine but you may find it acceptable).

Or you ordered a good quality wine which is normally kept in a wine cooler that maintains it to the ideal temperature (around 14-15ºC I guess).

About La Dolça Hermínia and other restaurants of the same chain (Les Quinze Nits..) I've never understood the fuss about them as their food and especially the service leaves a bit to be desired.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,813 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

pocabroma and Wojtek, In the USA there is NO red wine that is served "fridge cold" in restaurants when one orders a glass or bottle of house wine.

That is why I referred to it as "local custom". The only cold red might be a pitcher of sangria .

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

I'm the DE who recommended La dolça herminia in the past but haven't been for quite some while, and service always was a bit "categorical" (you can't say that an extra person will be joining you later for example).

However just to add (as I mentioned it on that other post) that I had menu del día at El Hostal de la Rita on Carrer Aragó near Pau Claris this week and food was (still) good with varied choices.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,813 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Dolca Herminta Restaurant, Barcelona - REVOLTING

Last note on red wine is that after many trips to Italy they ALSO (at least from Rome north) do not serve house reds fridge cold.

I have found that restaurant recs are hit and miss because one person can have a great meal and the next one can hit a bad day!

It is probably only the most outstanding places that are uniformly great every day and for every dish they serve!