We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, single white female

melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Help, single white female

Hi, I wil be in Barcelona next April for the first time.I'm travelling alone which i have done much off but am after any reccomendations for budget accomodation in Barcelona...Also what area is best located to get to most tourist sites....I have read the reviews sections on hotels but its doing my head in trying to choose...Thanks for any relpies

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, single white female

hcc open, safe area.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, single white female

Depends on what budget you have to be honest.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, single white female

Hi, I'm a white female too and Barcelolna is one of the safest cities I've lived/been. Here I walk home alone often at wee hours and never had a problem... I would not dare doing that in most parts of the world! There are pickpockets but these are easy to prevent: don't have anything valuable on you easy to pick. I'm saying all this becasue there is no reason to avoid areas becasue you're traveling alone (except the lower part of Las Ramblas and Raval.... but when I've been there I was more worried about some drunk tourists than anything else). Read the FAQ about areas to choose the one(s) that appeal more to you, then choose your accommodation there according your budget. Have fun!

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, single white female

In 2011 is the colour of your skin still that important in Australia ?

(I am not so naive as to think racism and prejeudice of many many many sorts does not still exist in many contexts indeed, and I know it is not wholly absent here in Catalonia, but posts framed in this way should surely have finished if not when President Eisenhower mobilised the National Guard in Little Rock in my childhood, then certainly when Nelson Mandela was released from Robbin Island.)

melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, single white female

Wow some people take things literally!!! It was meant in fun and in no way to be racist!! I thought the title would grab attention but not this sought....i apolagise if you took any offence...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,941 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, single white female

When you type into a computer the words MUST be taken literally because there is no way to hear tone of voice. I too was wondering what "white" had to do with your question.

With that said I usually tell folks that the area anywhere around Placa Catalunya would be a good spot for a first time visit.

There is easy access to : the express bus from the airport

the hop on hop off tourist bus

metro

normal city buses

restaurants etc.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, single white female

take the side streets to the picasso museum. we loved the side streets downtown. and we really liked the rambles boqueria, lots to eat . try the crepes on the far right side as you go in. and the fresh juices, yum.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 23:47
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, single white female

It does see that the OP was a little naive and I suspect she did not mean to imply its Ok for non white females to be put in harms way. I would give her the benefit of doubt and hope My Brothers who are Australian Citizens are not subject to attitude because of the color of their skin. I post this because we recently returned from Barcelona and we are sold. We will be back.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, single white female

llisae, please know that sometimes this forum can be very intense. I get it....and would like to recommend Somnio which is a hostal owned by two American ex-pat sisters who are happy to support female travelers on their own. Tell them that Amy's Mom recommended them!

Enjoy!

melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, single white female

Thanks for all the responses..i love trip advisor!!!