We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to spend new years eve

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chile
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
place to spend new years eve

hi, can anyone suggest any place for youn couple to spend new years eve? like a club o sth like that?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: place to spend new years eve

Hola Patty!

Sorry noone has answered your question yet. Perhaps check www.bcn.cat/nadal for whats being organised round town, or websites such as www.lecool.com where you can have an email sent each week for free giving you clubs and concerts info.

One thing i know about new year in Barcelona, it is considered good luck to wear red underwear! So you may not know where to party but you now know how to be very lucky in 2011.

Hopefully others can help you out further, or ask us again nearer the time.

All the best!

Chris

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to spend new years eve

The red underwear thing is actually an "imported" tradition (can't remember from where now), just some years old. You are supposed to burn the underwear on Jan 1. Very few people I know follow this "tradition" (but the underwear shops are promoting it ;-))

What you *must do* is eating 12 grapes with the clock bells and then cheer with cava ;-))

But... where?... this is the tricky point. We locals usually celebrate at home with family and friends. If going out, we do it well past midnight. So, probably past years visitors can help much better than any local on where to have dinner and receive the new year. There are a few threads from past years you can find useful, do a forum search.

There is some gathering of tourists in Plaça de Catalunya at midnight but it tends to get rough so I would avoid. Over the last years a new tradition is starting: going near the AgBar tower to see its colors changing at midnight (but do not expect any street party or fireworks). Actually NYE is not a big celebration in Barcelona.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: place to spend new years eve

burning the red underwear is to ensure you purchase new every year? And is it red underwear like santa claus changed from green clothes to red clothes to match the corporate colours of the coca cola company...

For the biggest new year street party in the world, its my hometown of Edinburgh in Scotland. No need for underwear as we wear a kilt with nothing underneath. Supposed to show that we dont have tails unlike our auld enemy some of whom grew tails after being nasty to a passing holy man.

Great idea Belsaita, check back to last year on the forum and see what was happening then!

Chris

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to spend new years eve

I have to say I thought the world's biggest street party at New Year was in Berlin, Chris. Germany would be high on my list of places in which to be for the midnight chimes, much as I love Edinburgh.

I did a search on "world's biggest new year street party " on Google and understandably Edinburgh came up with lots of results but I checked out the top 10 "wildest" parties on MSN Travel and incredibly Edinburgh didn't come up at all, yet London did! I'll risk upsetting Londoners by suggesting that I'd certainly rather try Edinburgh and (though I have never seen in the New Year in London) friends/children who have been in the English capital in recent years have come back disappointed by tube closures, poor views of the fireworks and disillusionment at the "health & safety" obsessed crowd 'management' that they've encountered.

Where will we be going this year? We've headed east for the last four, to Germany & Poland. We'll be hoping for cheap flights to either for a couple of nights of sub-zero temperatures and hot wine.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: place to spend new years eve

If you want to have a big party for New Years Eve, Barcelona is not your ideal destination. It is a common misbelief about Barcelona. Locals tend to celebrate at home.

The people who party are the tourists.

If you should plan a quieter evening like having a nice dinner with your partner, Barcelona is a good location. I suggest that you search for nice restaurants with a special menu for the event instead of a party place.

Luka, PromptGuides

6. Re: place to spend new years eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:16