We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

The match has been moved to Monday 29th Nov at 9pm because there are elections in Catalonia on the Sunday (for the new autonomous government) and there were fears of problems covering security of both on the same day

. It seems Barça did not want it on Saturday because of European match the Wednesday before.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

completely messed all of my plans up, and many friends of mine, now have also ahd to cancel their flights to the game. Already £150 out of pocket, as i have lost my fligths and 20% of the appartment fee.

London
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

That will cause major problems for lots of fans and to only give little over 2 weeks notice is out of order!

Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

Mediapro, the company that owns the broadcast rights decided the match will be on Monday not to overlap with Catalan Parliament elections.

Its CEO Jaume Roures was on the radio today and tried to minimize the importance of his decision. He said that UEFA Champions League matches are on weekdays (incl. the final game) and no one complains about it. In my opinion he took the decision strongly influenced by the political 'establishment'.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 14:06
Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

... and actually the match has not been 'moved'. Its date had not been announced until yesterday.

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

I think it might all come under the heading of [very (big)] business, oi?

I trust, moreover, Senyor Roura has somebody in the office to tell him what days the matches are played on or else he will have spent a lot of money sending camera crews to broadcast "midweek" from an empty stadium as the pattern of Wednesday evenings for the Champions League Final was changed to Saturday last season and it is programmed for Saturday in May this season too.

At Wembley if my memory serves.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

Apparently, according to something I read this morning the Barça-Real Madrid match has been played on a Monday twice before, both times Easter Monday (a public holiday in Catalonia not in most of Spain as they have Maundy Thursday instead). It's also sometimes been midweek apparently (as the Copa del Rey final normally has been).

There is now one match on a Monday every week, the last match of the "jornada", which stretches from Sat to Monday.

The general assumption when the election date was announced was that the match would be on the Sunday in fact. Re choice of election date: the following Sunday is inthe middle of a long holiday weekend (lots of people away from home); don't ask me why it couldn't have been the Sunday before though!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

Interesting...it sucks that fans weren't notified earlier and that those who were flying in on Sunday and leaving Monday won't be able to switch flights, but for the fans (i.e. my husband and I) who were unable to get tickets, maybe now we'll be able to get a couple!

8. Re: Barça- Real Madrid match moved to Monday 29th Nov!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 06:17