We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Hello Barcelona experts

I am a Celiac (gluten intolerant)

Do any of you know where you can get gluten free foods, or bakeries that have gluten free options or Restaurants that serve gluten free foods in Barcelona?

When I read about breakfast, and everyone talks about croissants.

I wonder what will I eat for breakfast

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Hola Traveld0t!

Here's a link to a previous discussion from earlier this year. If you search this forum, you will find others (I typed in "gluten free").

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k38252…

There are lots of other alternatives to gluten products, especially for b'fast. If you visit La Boqueria (the gorgeous Mercat on Las Ramblas), you'll see colourful fruit stands selling fruit and fruit juice concoctions. There are "bars" offering eggs with jamon iberico, mushrooms or baby squid. And the tortilla espanola (an omelette with potato). Lunch gets even better, but since you asked about b'fast, I'm only giving you comments about that.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Hola Traveld0t!

I checked with good old google as i seemed to remember the vegetarian website had celiac restaurants and found a heap of info on google.

www.glutenfreeguidebook.com

www.sincarne.net

www.celiacchicks.com

www.celiac.com

www.celiacadvice.info

all have info on gluten free food sources in Barcelona, plus theres a gluten free b+b so no need for croissants for breakfast!

I will check my guidebooks am sure theres a couple of good health foodshops and a good bakery who supply a good range of goodies for celiacs.

Yup, you wonder the size of some of our members who talk croissants and pastries for breakfast! Just as well you have to walk between cake shops to burn some of it off.

Have a great time in Barcelona!

Chris

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

<<Yup, you wonder the size of some of our members who talk croissants and pastries for breakfast! >>

Those who cannot do, eat... ;-P

Lots of good finds, Chris!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

People are starting to become more aware of coeliac disease here so supermarkets now have some gluten-free lines and packaging is getting better in terms of listing allergens. For instance I noticed gluten-free sliced bread in my Mercadona supermarket which I think is new,

The only restaurant I know that specifically lists whether dishes are gluten-free is la Lluna at Carrer Santa Ana 20 (near top of the Ramblas). Open for lunch only Mon-Wed, dinner also Thursday-Sat.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Linda is right, mosts of the lager supermarkets have agood range of gluten free products ...Mercadona, Hiper Simply, Carrefoure and Caprabo. There are also numerous health food shops. of course the meat, fish, veg and fruit are perfect as well.

Have a great time.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Hi!

Have a look here, too:

http://www.celiacos.org/eng_gfs.php

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Thank you everyone for your replys.

Ill be fine Im sure. We are stay near El Corte on Plaza Catalunya. though I think it will be closed on Good Friday when we arrive, we can buy some groceries on Saturday. We are in an apartment.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

If you are staying on Plaza Catalunya you should not worry . You can buy gluten free items in the supermarket in El Corte Ingles for sure.

Have a great stay.

Luka, PromptGuides

barcelona
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

Hi, unusually for Chinese food the restaurant Out of China, at Carrer Muntaner, 100, itemises dishes which are suitable for celiacs. Two visiting friends from the UK, one of whom is celiac, went there last Thrsday and reported it was excellent if a little pricey.

Also, if you enjoy beer the brand to look for is DAURA - by Estrella-Damm. Our local bar used to stock it, but, as we found out a few nights ago, no longer do. If not available in bars you'll find it definetly in Consum supermarkets for around 90 cents a bottle. Hope that's helpful. Regards.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celiac in Barcelona eating GLUTEN FREE

I wouldn't eat Chinese food in Barcelona, especially if you're coming from Portland, Oregon. West Coast Chinese (as in Seattle, Vancouver, SF, LA) is some of the best in North America.

Barcelona has great local food and, if you keep it simple (by avoiding the molecular and highly-processed items), you will enjoy your meals and stay healthy.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 19:10