We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Hi,

My husband and I will be going to Spain in early Sept 2011 and want to have a few days in Barcelona and then a few days in a coastal village / town.. We like sightseeing, good restaurants and shopping but are not into partying and lying on the beach all day. Any suggestions about a good place to stay that is fairly close to Barcelona that will provide what we want.

Thanks

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Hola Kiwis!

Might i suggest the Costa Brava and ask you to look up the city of Girona, medieval village of Besalu, coastal town Cadaques (Dali lived in nearby Port Lligat), the ancient greek and roman ruins of Empuries plus nearby wildlife reserve, the vineyards of Emporda, even a trip into the Pyrenees to Camprodon.

That area up the coast from Barcelona will give you food, wine, history, quiet beaches, nature, Dali, mountains etc etc and you could google all the names and see what you like the look of.

Hope this is a help to get you started.

Chris

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Kia Ora Chris

Thank you so much for your suggestions - I will certainly look up info on the Costa Brava and the city of Girona, it sounds exactly what we're after !

Is there a train from Barcelona or will we need a rental car to get there and get around while there? Also do you recommend any hotels / apartments in that area ?

Thanks again

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Hola Hola!

You can train it easy enough to Girona, check a recent posting concerning how to get there and that will give you ideas. Depends on luggage etc, either rent a car in Barcelona or Girona.

Theres some great hotels in Girona and surrounding countryside, some were mentioned in that post, with apartmens in Girona too. First trip we did to the area was hotels across costa brava and over the pyrenees, each night in a different hotel, second trip we found a bungalow on outskirts of estartit which was great price and great location for day trips, gathering food and wine from markets and vineyards as we travelled then a relaxing evening eating drinking talking relaxing in our own garden.

DYOR- do your own research then when you have some ideas and a heap more questions, come back and ask us. Also if you click on 'catalonia forums' up above then theres other forums to look up and get information too.

I loved my holidays in Emporda, Costa Brava, Girona and the Pyrenees. Keep meaning to return, but am smitten with Barcelona and back there in 18hours :-D

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Thanks again Chris , you certainly know the area well. That's exactly how we like to holiday - exploring by day and relaxing with a glass of wine and a nice meal in the evening !!

I will certainly follow up your ideas and then get back to you when we are closer to making definite plans.

Thanks from the Kiwis

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Hi Kiwis,

I love your country and I expect you have a great time here

Chris is right with his suggestions (He knows the area quite well)

If you like to have a look at some pictures at the area please go here:

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio

You will find some pictures of Catalonia, Costa Brava, Girona....

Jose

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Certainly take a look at Jose's photos it will give you a very good idea of what you can see!

Hola Jose! Hope you can make it along to the forum party or any of the mini meets this weeked! It would be great to see you!

Chris

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

If you want to be based on the coast but with chance to do excursions inland eg to Besalú and Girone I suggest you look at staying on the central Costa Brava, the area around Llafranc/Tamariu/Begur/Pals or L'Éstartit. The coastline is beautiful as is the countryside, dotted with medieval villages; superb food too!

We love that central Costa Brava area and spend a week at Pals beach every summer. Cadaques is magical but not a good location to do excursions from so do it as a day trip instead.

And yes you do need a car to explore as public transport is poor (the railway line is well away from the coast here). You could check out about car hire from Girona if you don't want to drive from Barcelona: frequent trains from Barcelona.

There is a specific Costa Brava forum (with DE Denise) which will be the best place to find out more about the area

Edited: 17 December 2010, 08:34
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Chris;

It would be great to meet you in Barcelona, but unfortunately I am away for family matters until next Monday. maybe next time

JOSE

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I did notice that Girona was away from the coast and we would prefer to be on the coast and do day trips to the inland areas.

From the info I have it seems that the Costa Brava is less touristy and busy than the Costa Del Sol - is this true ?

I will look on the Costa Brava forum, but any ideas on accomodation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place on Spanish coast to stay

Roses is nice and it's on the coast plus it's not far from Figueres where there is a Salvatore Dali museum and also, it's not far from Cadaques.