We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

Can any of you suggest some books to read before my trip to Barcelona in May that are set in Barcelona or in the Costa Brava area? I love to read and if the book describes areas I will be seeing, it would be great fun. I read only in English unfortunately, so book will have to be in English. If you can suggest some titles, I will see if I can find the book.

Thanks! Doesn't need to be a nonfiction, like mysteries and travel stories more! Just set in those locations.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

Hi,

we have had one or two goes at this in the past, here are a couple of previous threads on the subject

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k245…

tripadvisor.co.uk/…1230807

in addition to the ones mentioned in the above threads, I recently enjoyed The Enormity of the Tragedy by Quim Monzó (though its central theme is not for the prudish)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

There is now another book by Ruiz Zafón, "The angel's game" which I think tells part of the story that precedes the action in "Shadow of the wind".

For a description of life on the Costa Brava before tourists arrived: "Voices of the old sea" by Norman Lewis.

Alicia Gimenez Bartlett is a Spanish thriller writer who has won the Raymond Chandler Award and a few of her books have been translated into English (just checked on amazon), she is however a "bigger name" in Germany, France and Italy than the English-speaking world (so more translations into those languages). Heroine of a series is Petra Delgado.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 19:18
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

I am preparing for our upcoming trip to Barcelona and typically collect all the books and music I can to help me learn about my destination, and have done the same in preparation for this trip.

I'm looking forward to reading the thread that the previous poster mentioned, but I read Cathedral of the Sea by lldefonso Falcones and it was SUPERB! All about the building of Santa Maria Del Mar and worth every page! Another fun thing to do is to look into the collection of regional music by Putumayo. There is one entitled Espana that was fantastic! Enjoy!

Edited: 19 January 2011, 19:50
4. Re: Books based in Barcelona or/and Costa Brava?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:20