We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Catalan restaurants

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola a tots i totes!

I have a lengthy list of Barcelona restaurants serving supposedly modern Catalan, molecular Catalan, upscale Catalan, even Canadian-Catalan! But what about traditional Catalan? Where would you go for a delicious meal that reminds you of something your grandmother used to cook? Over the months, I’ve found a few names and would appreciate your comments. If your favourite is not on the list, please share it on the forum and tell us what dish you would order there. Moltes gracies!

Casa Jordi, Passeig Marimon

Can Josep, C/ Roger de Flor 237

Can Lluís , C/ La Cera 49

Mam i Teca , C/ de la Lluna

L’Havana, c/ Lleo 1

Taverna El Glop, C/ Sant Lluís, 24

Edited: 31 January 2011, 22:00
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola Slatkin!

I'm following up on your suggestions. Regarding Can Culleretes, I recall Belsaita mentioning it once before. I found the online menu and it lists all the dishes.

http://www.culleretes.com/CATALA/CATmenu1.htm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

@ Doffcocker,

I found Via Veneto online and while it looks very appetising, I think it has modernized itself. For example,

<<DIM SUM" (CHINESE RAVIOLI) OF RED PRAWNS FROM PALAMÓS WITH TUNA AND SEAWEED "DASHI" BROTH>>

Sounds like something I would cook if I lived in Barcelona! :-P

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Regarding Slatkin's suggestion of Can Xurrades:

The website looks good. The specialties seriously challenge my effort to eat less red meat :-P

<< Buey auténtico (Bos Taurus Ibericus)

http://www.canxurrades.com/

barcelona
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hi, interesting discussion re catalan food. Fascinated by topic of how conflict, war, scarcity, or plenty, politics and regional identity impacts on food production and presentation though not enough time or space to develop theme - with refrence to Catalunya - here.

Here are two more traditional Catalan restaurants you may wish to add to the list.

Can Cargol in the Eixample - C/Valencia 324 www.cancargol.es

Cal Boter, up in Gràcia,- C/Tordera, 62 (no website)

regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

I'm still having fun looking for traditional Catalan restaurants. On one hand, there are many: many listings, that is. On the other hand, there are few: very few that TA regulars have actually dined at!

So far, for our schedule, it's a toss-up between Casa Jordi and Can Josep.

I've found a modern Catalan restaurant that I never knew existed -- Avalon by Ramon Freixa. I was thinking of going to his restaurant in Madrid. Here's a sample menu:

Menú San Esteban (40 euros, IVA incluido)

Platos

Canelones de San Esteban

Rape “All Cremat” con Calçots o Entrecotte de Ternera con Boletos al Carbón

Postre

Pastel Caliente de Chocolate con Helado de Neulas

Incluye

Neulas y Turrones

Agua y Café Incluidos

Bodega

Vino Tinto: Celeste - Bodegas Torres

Vino Blanco: Atrium Chardonnay - Bodegas Torres

Champagne: Piper Heidsieck Brut

Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

I've been to Can Xurrades, El Glop, La Vinateria del Call and Cal Boter and among these I'd recommend Cal Boter. If you go there at lunch time during the week you'll have a very local experience. Also Cal Robert in the same street has a good reputation but I've never been there.

I don't rememeber much about Can Xurrades (went there 6 or 7 years ago I think)... I guess it wasn't impressive :-) El Glop is OK if you want to have calçots in Barcelona (there are not many places where you can eat them) but of course they have many other choices in the menu. If I remember well in la Vinateria del Call they only serve charcuterie, cheeses, salads, bread with tomato and the like.

All of them are informal and not very expensive.

Have you already learnt how to drink wine with the "porró"? :-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Just wondering? What happened to Can Margarit, that was on the "foodie" report from the NYC TAers(sorry forgot screen names) a year or so ago??

Did you go there last time or is that not "in"any more??

It is on C. de la Concordia 21 from my notes.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Can Margarit is still there and it's one of my favorite places for an informal meal. Not really "Catalan" though, they have some Catalan dishes but mainly Aragonese /Castlillian as far I remember. Even these subtle differences will escape to most visitors I guess ;-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

OOps! Sorry Belsaita. I didn't know that. I thought it was traditional Catalan.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

No worries, as I said the difference is subtle sometimes :)

Many places serving "local" food will not serve only "strictly Catalan" dishes. These are most of the cheap to middle priced places, the ones where local workers go to have their "menu del dia". They are very authentic, as this is what we "real locals" eat. But maybe its the reason why its so difficult to find "traditional Catalan" restaurants in Barcelona.

If you go to small towns and villages you will most likely to find "traditional Catalan" restaurants, as there is were many "kemacus" (slang for Barcelonins) head on weekends to find the "real thing" LOL