We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Catalan restaurants

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola a tots i totes!

I have a lengthy list of Barcelona restaurants serving supposedly modern Catalan, molecular Catalan, upscale Catalan, even Canadian-Catalan! But what about traditional Catalan? Where would you go for a delicious meal that reminds you of something your grandmother used to cook? Over the months, I’ve found a few names and would appreciate your comments. If your favourite is not on the list, please share it on the forum and tell us what dish you would order there. Moltes gracies!

Casa Jordi, Passeig Marimon

Can Josep, C/ Roger de Flor 237

Can Lluís , C/ La Cera 49

Mam i Teca , C/ de la Lluna

L’Havana, c/ Lleo 1

Taverna El Glop, C/ Sant Lluís, 24

Edited: 31 January 2011, 22:00
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Moltes gracies, Darius (and Jose Antonio)! If we include restaurants outside Barcelona, this list would grow exponentially!

In Girona, I enjoyed lunch at the 3 Michelin star El Celler de Can Roca. This is not traditional Catalan BUT the smaller Can Roca certainly must be.

Can Roca is the family restaurant where the mum of those 3 Roca boys taught her sons how to cook so well!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola a tots!

Gigi and I had a lovely (but too short) visit to Barcelona, where we had the pleasure to try out a few traditional Catalan restaurants.

El Glop de la Rambla made very good grilled meat (I had the secreto pork while Gigi licked his fingers and ate the grilled rabbit) but terrible pa amb tomaquet.

Caelum is such a cute little shop in the heart of Barri Gotic with a cafe and take-out section. I followed DariusKakalia's suggestion and bought 2 boxes of the divine figs soaked in cognac and dipped in chocolate. I hand-carried these treasures to Shanghai and enjoyed them with family.

LA  PERLA was my big find on the foot of Montjuic. We went for the canelones but they were not available so we had the macaroni with butifarra sausage, covered in cheese and baked. It was true Catalan comfort food! More later, the knitting font grinch is back.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,391 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hi G-M,

Glad you liked La Perla, I've recommended it to a few people over the years, its particularly nice for Sunday lunch when its full of 3 and 4 generation families having a leisurely family meal

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola Doff!

Finally someone from TA who has eaten at this place! If I had known, I would have picked your brain about it. Apparently, it is open only for lunch and it is truly a very traditional restaurant in the residential area at the foot of Montjuic (we accessed it after a short visit to the MNAC and a pleasant stroll downhill).

When Gigi and I went, the waiters were gruff and almost discouraging us to partake. Their attitude didn’t bother me as much as the lack of air conditioning! The Catalan-only menu wasn’t an obstacle either; my knowledge of Menu-ese and the food being displayed in large pots on the counter easily compensated for my lack of language. Their reputation for great canelones (the Catalan version of the Italian baked pasta dish, with lots of creamy béchamel) was what lured us here but unfortunately, it was not available that day. Instead, I ordered the baked macaroni (as previously mentioned, it was Catalan comfort food!) and butifarra sausage (served with more comfort food: a gratin of potatoes and allioli). If I had better language skills, I would have approached the neighbouring table, whose occupants were enjoying 2 large platters that included the very traditional rabbit and snails. I’m not a snail person but I keep trying to understand why people from many different countries love the little slimeballs.

After we inhaled our own lunches, the waiter started smiling and even made an effort to communicate in Spanish with us. I guess he was relieved that we wouldn’t be asking him for an English menu, tapas or Sangria, LOL! He had probably been very nervous at the sight of 2 obvious tourists who had strayed from their regular stomping grounds of Las Ramblas or Passeig de Gracia.

As I left, I made a mental note to come back next time, especially in the cooler months. The very long list of rice dishes was particularly attractive.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Ah Caelum! ….G_m, so happy you made it to this little gem… “cognac soaked…dipped in chocolate…figs”…. ‘manna of the angels’! …your family in Shanghai must have loved these exquisitely prepared treats… also, highlighting this Barri Gotic charmer over here, was and still is a silent tribute to DE BennyMalaga, who has with selfless dedication been documenting and championing the sinking cause of convent sweets, on our various TA forums…thank you G_m ,for being so thoughtful….for aiding in preserving a ‘dying tradition’… how about a full fledged review?… demoralizing to learn that so many establishments falling under this specific genre have been forced to close shop due to financial constraints….La Perla…so tempting…unfortunately my burgeoning list of eating out options in Barcelona is fast overtaking the number of allocated days for September…am compelled to pick and choose…agony!…for a traditional Catalan lunch, my handpicked choice is Can Josep…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola Barcelon experts,

Tks for introducing Caelum, we love figs especially brandied ones. Found that we have time for 1 leisurely lunch on the thursday we arrived. mid Sept, would be most grateful for any suggestions of Catalan or Basque places that does.meat as I'm very fussy with fish. Presently perusing Frommers guidebook. Printed out Catalan>English cooking dictionary

We'll try El Grop/Maitea post Flamenco show. Do we need to book now for the restaurants ? Will go look at the macarons at Les Arenes pre Flamenco show Gigis_mum, bringing big shopping bag for the goodies.

I know how you feel DariusK, I only have 2.5 days as we are already commited in our holidays plus also booked a Cava tour with other cruisers..Will add Can Josep to my list.

I really love this forum.

Moltes Gracies

Edited: 30 July 2011, 19:37
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

At long last!

A new name to add to this prestigious list...

CAL XIM from Sant Pau d'Ordal has opened a Barcelona location near Diagonal and Girona. Some pictures of the original Cal Xim's food also linked below.

http://www.calxim.com/index.php

flickr.com/photos/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

One more name for this long list, thanks to local member Fong Yu and DE Lynda, Pa i Tralgo!

Pa i Tralgo (in the Raval, near metro Poble Sec)

http://www.restaurantpaitrago.es/

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
163 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hi All

Thanks for all the tips....

Are all these restuarants still operational and so highly rated, or has there been some changes?

If you had to recommend 3 lunches and 3 dinners, which would they be?

thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Traditional Catalan restaurants

Hola guym!

Thanks for saying thanks. There are LOTS of restaurants on this thread so it's impossible to say whether all are still operational and good. You could read the reviews in the TA Barcelona Restaurant section or try searching on the internet.

Re: 3 lunches and 3 dinners, everyone has different tastes and budgets. I would probably choose 2 traditional places, 2 modern places and 2 places that serve a lighter/quicker meal... maybe a tapas bar or a menu del dia (lunch special).

For upscale/traditional, maybe Fonda Gaig and Fonda Espana.

For modern Catalan, Gresca, Alkimia and Cinc Sentits.

For moderate price and open all day, El Glop.